• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to teach that with a flint, (only so many shots with a flint) all you needed to do was find another flint on the ground if your flint would no longer work. Then I discovered that there isn't chert in Many states west of the Rockies. Maybe caps were necessary as you can carry a bunch more in a smaller space than flints.

I have successfully used 2FF and 3FFF in my priming pan. I could not see any difference in speed. As long as I have a sharp flint it goes bang with either powder.

I like flintlocks and have owned and shot many. I find the "woof" of a flinter very satisfying. The one thing about them is that they tend to toss sparks everywhere (even with guards.) Got to point in dry brushy areas i was afraid the use mine during summer at all. I know percussion can toss sparks as well and that burning patchs can cause fires in dry brush but may be somewhat more safe. FWIW seen some flinters have downsides like igniting loose powder accumulated on range floors and contraction joint. Worse one was igniting a flask/horn left on bench. Funniest (not really) was a thickly bearded left hander learning hair can burn.

I can tell a slight difference between loading from the horn with 1f and 2f but I had to do a slomo video to notice any delay with 3f. Very very slight 25% of the time or so, and not enough to be able to react negatively to. I load from the horn with 3f and a few of my 2f guns but with 1f, which I use often with my big bore smooth guns, I nearly always load from a primer of 0B. YMMV.

Never hunted with a flinter but hunted pheasant quite a lot with my Percussion double.. Even it had problems when it started to rain. Clean, dry starting bores, sealed powder can, tight fitting caps, leather breech cover, and good tight wads helped but not 100%. Seemed like anything over 90% humidity started to cause igniton problems. Used sealed musket caps when all else failed. Always sure fire the rest of the time. Can't imagine how bad it would be with a flint and even a moderate shower. Probably why bayonets were so popular back in the day.

I shot a 20+ shot woods walk last year in a steady rain, the only mis fires I had (2 that Day recall) was because a drop of water dripped of my hats brim onto the frizzen.

This was with out the use of a cows knee or any other lock covering other than my body and my haversack.

I did wipe the frizzen and pan prior too each reload with a rag I had concealed in my frock.

I shot a 20+ shot woods walk last year in a steady rain, the only mis fires I had (2 that Day recall) was because a drop of water dripped of my hats brim onto the frizzen.

This was with out the use of a cows knee or any other lock covering other than my body and my haversack.

I did wipe the frizzen and pan prior too each reload with a rag I had concealed in my frock.
What kind of lock?

Pete Allen flintlock

7B74BCBA-796B-42EA-A58A-3FC25DCCA31E.png

Last edited:
I have heard good things about these. Is it one that has the pan shaped so that water runs off on either side? I once got to use a rifle made by Durs Egg that had such a lock.

Yes I think that’s the style, however if the flint gets wet or the water drips on the face of the frizzen it won’t fire.

Back side of the lock...
A5FDBF7E-1185-4E86-8F95-DB329F52A82C.png

I wasn’t aware of this , but apparently this is a similar lock.

AA9CD05D-14BC-48B5-8777-A9CBDC923FEB.jpeg

I haven’t had any trouble with this lock other than letting it slide down the wall a bend the frizzen screw slightly

It has a stong main spring and sparks well, it functions better with the flint bevel down.

A pic right side up... lol

E74DBD06-535D-4977-BED2-226C132B9FB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Very Nice. I would be scared i would wreck it in the field! I do plan to hunt grouse with a Brown Bess carbine next season. Oregon is very wet!! I do have a frizzen cover for it with a pull string. Also it fits over the flash guard which may help. May post pics when we are done with the move north.

I have always esteemed the flintlock over a caplock.....

That custom gun there is gorgeous! Pete Allen? I would love to have something like that! No custom flintlocks for me, not yet.

Guys , I’m sorry if I’ve misled you... The rifle is a .54 cal made by Tip Curtis here in Tennessee. It has a 42” Colerain barrel that is way more accurate than I am.

The lock is a Pete Allan made lock.

4D5E979A-6EEB-4087-BEBE-9DDA49922180.jpeg

13FA4A1B-C500-48F7-915F-652461B1EF04.jpeg

Also the gun I would not consider a custom gun... I bought it off the shelf in Mr. Tips shop here in Tn.

Thanks Bob, yea it’s not the normal off the shelf gun for sure.
I liked it so well I went back and bought another just too keep it company...

16 gauge 44” Colerain barrel smoothbore . This one has an L&R lock, which I’ve had zero issues with.

100-8845.jpg

It’ll bring home the limb bacon , but I’ve only had one chance a a whitetail with it .
That didn’t go so well... but there’s always this year!

90926126-692-A-4092-B4-C3-F7-FACEFAE2-AD.jpg

Last edited:
Nessmuck, the beer can pictured is Love City Brewery. They are in Philadelphia, Pa....so i’m from Pa.

That Bourbon looks good! My goto’s are Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, THE CRAZY CHICKEN aka....Wild Turkey Rear Breed, Knob Creek, and Knob Creek Single Barrel. I got another favorite a Vanilla Whiskey...no name and good luck finding it in stores...😉
I was at a libation event one time in Boise and someone was selling bacon flavored whiskey.

I attended a Mel Hankla lecture at the Filson club in Lou. KY. Mr. Hankla said something that I thought was odd at first, when I was able to mull it over for a day or two, it made sense. When the cap system came out there was a rush to convert, of course. With in the first year over 90% were converted back to flints. It you have shot competition and hunted with both the cap and flint, think about it and it will make sense to you also.

IMO it is Flintlock Envy more than flintlock snobbery. I have an equal number of cap and flint long guns. I truly don’t recall the last time I shot one of the cappers.

Reactions: smo
I get both barrels so to speak. I shoot flintlocks and fly fish with bamboo rods with silk lines and only dry flies.

If people would judge me by knowing me instead of judging me by what's in my hand. Then I wouldn't be called names. I use what I use because I love using it. Not because I think it's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back