• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old to percussion new to flintlock. Picked up an Investarms Flintlock 50 cal for $200. First time firing it after reviewing Vlogs was surprisingly consistent. Had surgery on my right eye so shooting lefthanded until 9 month healing is over. I have one question, I see some use the same powder in the barrel and pan,(usually FFFG). Others recommend FFFFG, in the pan. What is the norm?

many mountain men used flintlocks as they didnt fail in tight situations. some mountain men died because their percussion rifle failed in a tight situations.

Old to percussion new to flintlock. Picked up an Investarms Flintlock 50 cal for $200. First time firing it after reviewing Vlogs was surprisingly consistent. Had surgery on my right eye so shooting lefthanded until 9 month healing is over. I have one question, I see some use the same powder in the barrel and pan,(usually FFFG). Others recommend FFFFG, in the pan. What is the norm?

I use fffg in the barrel and the pan.

I use to use ffffg in the pan but stopped cause it attracts too much moisture.

Using 3f for both requires only one grade of powder. Pletcher's ignition speed testing says 4f is faster than 3f(and Null-B is faster than 4f) but if you can't feel the difference it doesn't matter. You can get by with one grade. His testing is talking about millisecond differences in the speed. Human perception is too slow to tell the difference in a couple of msec. I will use my Null-B up and then got to my 7f then to my 4f. No point in leaving it on the shelf.
Everything in Alabama draws moisture. If I need water, I just set a jug on the porch and it fills up on its own.

Last edited:

I don't know if there is a 'norm'.... I reckon the question is; do you want to carry 2 different powders? I only use fffg.
YMMV

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

many mountain men used flintlocks as they didnt fail in tight situations. some mountain men died because their percussion rifle failed in a tight situations.

I’ll bet just as many died using flintlocks when there powder got wet etc.

If this were broadly true, the percussion cap would never had replaced the flintlock system as quickly as it did. It’s awfully funny how some modern shooters think they know better than the folks who had to use these guns “for real” and not for fun on the weekends. It’s not my opinion, the proof is in the pudding. Caplocks mostly replaced flintlocks in all uses very quickly.

Caplocks mostly replaced flintlocks in all uses very quickly.

This is true, but not for the reasons one might think. The caplock allowed armies to be manned by men of even the lowest standard with very little training. That's why they became so popular. That, and the fact they were easier to produce.

Uhhh....I use cap guns on the weekend.

Me too, but we are going backwards in evolutionary time, not forwards. We have already reverted to a time more difficult than the present. The flintlock takes it one step further, as do earlier designs. Eventually you end up with only one weapon, your wits.

Using 3f for both requires only one grade of powder. Pletcher's ignition speed testing says 4f is faster than 3f(and Null-B is faster than 4f) but if you can't feel the difference it doesn't matter. You can get by with one grade. His testing is talking about millisecond differences in the speed. Human perception is too slow to tell the difference in a couple of msec. I will use my Null-B up and then got to my 7f then to my 4f. No point in leaving it on the shelf.
Everything in Alabama draws moisture. If I need water, I just set a jug on the porch and it fills up on its own.
what is NULL-B POWDER and where do I get it? sory but I have never heard of it.

OK, just what is 7F, powder? another one that I have never heard of? or is it a joke?

in GERMAN NULL I beleave is used be fore # 1 when you start counting-NULL- EINE, ETC. so it is a ZERO.

:dunno:Rudyard :- I believe it was KGV who said " A Gun Without Hammers Is Like A Spaniel Without Ears" --& Flint locks Have Hammers. Would still like the time to Build a Wheel lock and String burners are definitely Faster that F/Ls. I'm Transsexual as to FL V PE. Have Golds for both but still revert to my Ryan & Watson when the Peasants start to fly even though it looks like Wild birds only this year.. I suppose that makes me a Flint Lock Snob. OLD DOG..

jgw276, thanks for the reply. bp dust, WOW, now I will bet that is just about the fastest flash / burning on the planet? or is the 7F, BP.? again what is 7F, powder and where do I get it? are both NULL-B and 7F only used for priming flint locks? any and all information will be appreciated. these are both new to me.

7f powder is really fine stuff that someone said is used in fireworks. I got a couple of pounds at a shoot many years ago. I don't believe it commercially available. Null-B is available from whoever sells Swiss powder.

I had some 5f, I believe it was dragon powder or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back