• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Every now and then we need to poke a little fun at ourselves. Some of you may have noticed someone who has a particular interest in a shooting or hunting genre that may look down on others in the sport that don't necessarily share the same interest or passion.

I've seen traditional archers look down on compound archers or crossbowman. There are flintlock shooters that might act like they have some secret ability and Gnostic talent available to a chosen few. Handgun hunters pursuing dangerous game might look at the ubiquitous squirrel hunter as blasé.

A fly fisherman might die if he ever had to use a Zebco rod and reel. A deep sea angler may think that the only kind of sport fishing is on the ocean.

Sometimes it can get irritating but, in my experience, the aforementioned attitudes have been rare. Mostly, the rivalry between sportsmen of different persuasions has been good-natured.

As well all know, shooting a flintlock may be a little challenging; especially to someone new to the technology. Once we've mastered the ability to hit a target with a round ball out of something with a lengthy lock time we have every right to be proud. However, no matter how good we are at something we can always be humbled. That's why it's important to always share our love of shooting with enthusiasm and excitement.

I'm sure all of you know that but I felt like saying it anyway.

So if you have a friend or fellow club member who has just acquired a flintlock rifle or pistol attached is a humorous "certificate" suitable for framing. It is a fill-able and printable PDF file, that will hopefully, give everyone a good laugh.

Send me a PM if you would like me to customize it for your muzzleloading club or friends.

Attachments

• Flintlock Snobbery Certificate.pdf
    262.5 KB · Views: 576
Seriously, though. If God had wanted us to shoot caplocks, he’d of left them all over the ground (as he did gun flints).

Honestly I can’t remember how many times I’ve read of some switching to flintlocks and never shooting a cap gun again. Can’t say I’ve heard too much of the opposite. Flintlocks take a special level of commitment and skill to shoot and service over percussion guns. The guys that own and shoot flints have every right to feel how they do, without a doubt they are superior to the caplocks in terms of fun and satisfaction that caplocks will never attain, and this is coming from someone who has owned and shot caplocks for years.

Seriously, though. If God had wanted us to shoot caplocks, he’d of left them all over the ground (as he did gun flints).

Honestly I can’t remember how many times I’ve read of some switching to flintlocks and never shooting a cap gun again. Can’t say I’ve heard too much of the opposite. HANDGONNES take a special level of commitment and skill to shoot and service over percussion guns. The guys that own and shoot HANDGONNES have every right to feel how they do, without a doubt they are superior to the FLINTLOCKS in terms of fun and satisfaction that FLINTLOCKS will never attain, and this is coming from someone who has owned and shot FLINTLOCKS for years.
There you go Smokey! I fixed your typos!
LOL - I hear you brother - each of us has our fetish............
For me I shoot anything that makes a lot of white smoke - no matter what the fire comes from...

Last edited:
Snobbery?? Just because I always raise my pinky finger high in the air when I shoot or handle a flintlock rifle, fowler, or pistol, I don't consider myself a snob! 🤔 Just where is Emily Post when you need her! 😆

I found a typo with the first attachment. I cannot believe I made a mistake. It's the first one I think I've ever made!

I know that the members of the forum will not let anyone else besides us know that I committed an error. Let's just keep it our secret.

Anyway here is the corrected version. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Attachments

• Flintlock Snobbery Certificate.pdf
    270.1 KB · Views: 260
I don't turn my nose up at any of it. Unless it's an inline.
But we don't discuss those things here.

Flintlock Percussion Inline.jpg

Great OP! Though, on the primitive archery side I have encountered way more snobbery than between BP shooters. I joke with friends about their "use of training wheels" but know guys who criticize me just for shooting along side them.
Now, going to get my smoothbore flintlock ready for some turkey next weekend...the birds will come to me before you cap guys because my weapon is cooler!

"Seriously, though. If God had wanted us to shoot caplocks, he’d of left them all over the ground (as he did gun flints)."

Except he didn't leave them all around, just in very specific places and the best hydrous ones are found in shafts tunneled into the earth. One major concern both the British and American armies had during the AWI; having enough flints.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back