• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cap guns...ok, i don’t care for them

Rifled flinters...fun (i got 4)

.62 smoothbore Fowler shooting prd’s...Ain’t nothing finer then that!!!!
546987A8-D64C-4CCF-9CD4-C66AB9134D5F.jpeg

I'd say seven out of eight people died before 50 without knapping flint back then. First large scale worker's comp claim for stone cutting should have been for working on the pyramids :) After the invention of the air drill silicosis rates soared among miners and sandhogs. The invention of the water fed hollow drill stem literally was a life saver.

Jedediah Starr did have them at $69.99 per 1000. Add in shipping and hazmat charges that’s about 8 cents per round. It looks like the are on sale now for$52.99 for Remington and $49.99 for CCI. By my estimate they are probably about 7 and 6 cents per round, respectively, with shipping and hazmat.

I haven’t shopped at PVI. Got a link?
powdervalleyinc.com

I have done business with them for many years.
Our group will do a bulk buy and we will get 40+ pounds of powder and primers for one hazmat charge. If you watch the specials, they frequently run free freight deals on larger quantities.

powdervalleyinc.com

I have done business with them for many years.
Our group will do a bulk buy and we will get 40+ pounds of powder and primers for one hazmat charge. If you watch the specials, they frequently run free freight deals on larger quantities.

When you said "PVI" I wasn't thinking of Powder Valley Inc. I had done business with them before but had not seen the percussion caps.

I was looking in the muzzle-loading section for the caps but didn't find them when I did my shopping. I found them now.

Many thanks!

The side plug,' drum & nipple' conversion does lack parts .But as to plainness less can be more .Not that I get into percussion much, I draw the line at hammerless a proper gun has hammers .
Regards Rudyard
Hi Rudyard,
You are beginning to sound a little like George Orwell; "Less can be More", "War is Peace", "Freedom is Slavery", "Ignorance is Strength". ;) A proper gun must at least have hammers but the most proper guns have flintcocks.

dave

Every now and then we need to poke a little fun at ourselves. Some of you may have noticed someone who has a particular interest in a shooting or hunting genre that may look down on others in the sport that don't necessarily share the same interest or passion.

I've seen traditional archers look down on compound archers or crossbowman. There are flintlock shooters that might act like they have some secret ability and Gnostic talent available to a chosen few. Handgun hunters pursuing dangerous game might look at the ubiquitous squirrel hunter as blasé.

A fly fisherman might die if he ever had to use a Zebco rod and reel. A deep sea angler may think that the only kind of sport fishing is on the ocean.

Sometimes it can get irritating but, in my experience, the aforementioned attitudes have been rare. Mostly, the rivalry between sportsmen of different persuasions has been good-natured.

As well all know, shooting a flintlock may be a little challenging; especially to someone new to the technology. Once we've mastered the ability to hit a target with a round ball out of something with a lengthy lock time we have every right to be proud. However, no matter how good we are at something we can always be humbled. That's why it's important to always share our love of shooting with enthusiasm and excitement.

I'm sure all of you know that but I felt like saying it anyway.

So if you have a friend or fellow club member who has just acquired a flintlock rifle or pistol attached is a humorous "certificate" suitable for framing. It is a fill-able and printable PDF file, that will hopefully, give everyone a good laugh.

Send me a PM if you would like me to customize it for your muzzleloading club or friends.
Those of us who shoot 14th century handgonnes had to put up with the same manure from guys with clubs. Don't take it personal. ................lol

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 114
I have never shot a flintlock, but would like to try one sometimes. Not many traditional ml shooters here in Southern Vermont. It rains amd snows here a lot during deer hunting season, how do you keep a flintlock "dry"?

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 106
I have never shot a flintlock, but would like to try one sometimes. Not many traditional ml shooters here in Southern Vermont. It rains amd snows here a lot during deer hunting season, how do you keep a flintlock "dry"?

with a “ cow knee “ ...works slick ! Just google it

Nessmuck56, very nice smoothie and the longbow.

Most of my Semi American Longbows have yew for the limbs...hence my nickname. Here’s a few...

Attachments

• 085961E5-359D-4A01-8B19-C1E909DD503C.jpeg
    085961E5-359D-4A01-8B19-C1E909DD503C.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115
  • F33F9242-5E1C-46F6-813C-A5A882AED7D9.jpeg
    F33F9242-5E1C-46F6-813C-A5A882AED7D9.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 107
  • 6ECF35CC-D1CC-4351-AB5A-ED7F82E0BF0B.jpeg
    6ECF35CC-D1CC-4351-AB5A-ED7F82E0BF0B.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 109
Status
Not open for further replies.