• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My best friend gave me this just before he passed. His best friend gave it to him before he passed. Both these men were patriots and served their country very well.

I have looked around for identifying it and failed.

My best guess is this had the barrel cut down, barrel rings adjusted to new location, and perhaps missing or broken strap holder at front of trigger guard.

It concerns me that there is a gap between the flash pan and the barrel. Suggests to me it was made up to be a looker but not used much after surgery.

Please feel free to offer up whatever you can for identification and advice.

I can see only one mark, letter G?, on the trigger plate.

It is unloaded and I shot a blank load which was fun. then cleaned it and put it on the wall.

IMG_7599.JPG

From butt to end of barrel 43 1/4"

Barrel from end to end is 27 1/2"

Barrel end in stock across flats measures 1 1/4"

Barrel end diameter is 0.822" Outside , Inside diameter is 0.715

IMG_7605.JPGIMG_7606.JPGIMG_7607.JPGIMG_7608.JPGIMG_7609.JPG

It is very easy to tighten the lock to the barrel, blacken the inside of the lock plate with soot from a candle or oil lamp, put the lock in the inlet and tap it a few times, lightly scrape off the black marked high spots in the mortise, repeat. The lock will settle in slowly to give you a perfect seal.

Eric,

Thank you.

I watch Bill Raby YouTube videos on building muzzle loading rifles. I watched him inlet a swamped barrel, lock, trigger with guard with great interest. He used Inletting Black and I have never tried it and liked the technique so I bought some from track of the Wolf when I bought my spring compression tool. At work I was doing something and I used the inletting black to complete the job.

Since this is a cut down version of the original design, I assume it is still made in that time. The question I have to ask is should I make this a shooter and do the fit as it should be or leave it alone. I lean towards making it work and shooting it.

With these old guns I want to make them ready to shoot and then hang them on the wall. When friends want to try a muzzleloader, let them shoot a real one and they can say they did something.

Eventually I want to get me a rifle kit and build it. Then go through lots of shooting with it.

dave

I tend to agree with @2 shots or @toots. Its a French 1777 or US 1795 cut down. I am perplexed by the lack of markings on the lock. There should be some markings. The barrel proof markings could have been lost if French and the breech was cut off.

Grenadier 1758,

Thank you

Now that I have an identification I spent time doing some lookup on the internet.

Saw that America bought these by the thousand for the Revolutionary War. France wanted to keep the sales private and delivered guns on the sly. They also made these with much shorter barrels for use aboard ship and something else. The wood doesn't look to be that old but I suppose it could be.

I want to learn all I can about it before I start in on it.

dave

Back