• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock, Smoothbore, "Japan 614"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, New to muzzleloading and to this forum. I need some help. I have what appears to be a musket, as it is a smoothbore and looks to be around a 20 ga. diameter barrel. Only markings are Japan 614. Not sure of age, but I'd make a wild guess at about 50 yrs., plus or minus. No rear sight and a blade front sight. It does appear to have all of its parts, works (no flint), and it has an octagonal receiver and round barrel. There is a flash pan and a hole (1/16th?) off of that. Looks like it's never been fired(?) Question: safe to shoot or is it a replica? If shooter, how much powder? Might be able to send some pictures. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Christo:
If you have a shotgun cleaning rod and a cleaning jag, try running a lightly oiled clean patch down the bore. Pay special attention when the jag is passing thru the area where the round part of the barrel meets the octagon. If the patch shows any hint of hanging up in this area, I don't recommend shooting the gun.

The reason for this is, at one time a Japanese company was making guns like this and rather than making the barrel out of one piece of material, they made it out of two pieces. Each piece was bored before it was assembled so, when they were put together the two bores didn't line up with each other.
I've heard rumors that the two pieces were just pressed together rather than being screwed together. If that was done on your gun, I don't think it is safe to shoot.

Then, there were other Japanese made guns that did have one piece barrels. The locks are usually very poor but if the gun has a one piece barrel it is probably safe to shoot if you can get the lock to work.

IMG_6485.JPG
0.jpg
IMG_6492.JPG
IMG_6491.JPG
IMG_6488.JPG

Well, the barrel and receiver definitely look like two pieces. Can't tell if it's threaded and screwed in. Stock looks like maple or beech(?) and it has brass fittings. When I put ramrod in, it goes in all the way plus 2-3 inches.

Those were out about 1976 for the bicentenial. Its not a replica of anything ,just a flint gun. They are fireable but if you know a good blackpowder gunsmith have him check it out. I think they were made by Miriku in japan that does make good firearms, marketed as a minute man musket which it is not.

Thanks so much for your response - really appreciate it. Do you happen to know the best way to find out what caliber? I’ll need to get hold of some flints also. Curious as to what it’s worth.

I had one, it was called ‘Drug in the Mud” it did have a two piece barrel and shot well with light charges. Took it to the ‘First Annual Mid West Musket Frolic’ in Defiance Mo 1984 or 85. We had two hundred shooters, I placed about 60th or so. In the top one third anyway. The next year I restocked it and cut it off in to a ‘canoe gun’.with a twenty inch barrel. Killed my first smooth bore deer with it. Then gave it to a friend. He passed away in ‘94 and I don’t know what became of it. I would not shoot it today, as in spite of the fact I didn’t blow my self up with it I would be afraid to trust the barrel.

Mine was .67, I had to shoot a .650 ball in it. Though half my shots in that frolic mentioned above was with .600, and the deer I killed with it was a .600.

I one of the same thing, and it is stamped on top of the barrel-HY HUNTER- KOREA. I took it too a historical reenactment back in 75, 200th. independence day. it is butt ugly by today standards. never thought it was safe to shoot. never have and never will. it hangs on wall in my shed.

Any more thoughts?
I own two of these muskets they are inexpensive they are safe to shoot dispite the two piece barrel wich is infact screwed together They are plenty safe with normal loads for 66 cal smooth bore the locks are cheap but rugged they spark well and shoot surprising well out to 60 yards 648 round ball 65 gr ffg these guns have been quite reliable and also shoot very well with shot A good light musket Not a authentic replica but it is a true traditional flintlock musket modern product thats clear Had since the middle 70s These have had a serious Shooting put thought Them they were a good deal at the time and still are

Thanks to everyone who's replied - good information! Exactly what I needed to know. You guys are great! Next step: I need to get some flints that would fit this gun- recommendations? What do you think a gun like this is worth?

I paid $80 for mine back in the 1980s.
mid it’s not a strict ‘rendezvous’ or just a muzzle loading shoot it’s ok.
Any sort of historic event No it won’t be ok.
the lock and trigger guard look a little like the 1803 rifle, the patch box is all modren. Few guns back in the day had a double piece stock, the stock is all twentieth century.
that said you can cover the break in the stock with raw hide, stick a bunch of brass tacks in it and you have a great 1970s rendezvous fantasy gun.

These little muskets were sold by Ultra High products in the mid 70s .They shoot good and are safe to shoot and ,they are reliable if in good order..They look like a British baker rifle with a very fancy patch box about the same size but it is16 gauge with a little longer barrel Than the Baker rifle. It is not a replica of any particular musket .They do however capture the moment ,and are very good little muskets for trecking or hunting they are authentic enough for the task.

Back