• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock smith needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

You're over thinking it.
nah,,, i'm just a former centerfire and rimfire benchrest competitor and rifle builder, and retired pharmacist, (having built several winning rifles), & know that attention to detail is what wins. (and keeps patients alive) . . i've contacted GM & they requested the serial number,, it might be they will take care of it hope so, but its been a long time since these barrels were sold.. and since they put the flash hole in the breech plug, maybe they will change it? .. After a lot of research,, its not "too low" just forward. i've read several "high/low tests & its probably fine in that regard.
Find the liner, re install it and shoot it.

Also go here and read. Lotsa empirical data. Some even contradict conventional wisdom. 😀

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/
i've read every available "test" (these are probably the best, most scientific i could find at least) none considered "forward of center",, just high/low & charge position... When i do shoot this rifle , the flash hole will be in the proper position.. No sense going off "half cocked"??? eh ;>) i'm in no great hurry to shoot. i still have some kit to obtain.

STOP.
Listen to the advise given above. Test fire the gun!
Looking at the photo, I think it will work fine just as it is.
If the touch hole is in the correct position on the barrel and you want the pan to be nice and centered to it, you can simply enlarge and deepen the pan using a dremel tool with a grinder bit .
Like the man above said, don't over-think it.

My 1st thought was to move the barrel back a tad. I'm no gunsmith though. Still to scared to stain and brown my Kibbler (but I did get my gunsmith screw dirvers in, so getting closer).

STOP.
Listen to the advise given above. Test fire the gun!
Looking at the photo, I think it will work fine just as it is.
If the touch hole is in the correct position on the barrel and you want the pan to be nice and centered to it, you can simply enlarge and deepen the pan using a dremel tool with a grinder bit .
Like the man above said, don't over-think it.
this would be great way to decrease the value of the rifle,, taking a dremel to the pan would probably make it un-sellable..... no,,, i might wish to sell it some day... you are "over thinking" it to the point of ruin... i like the value of my firearms to increase with time...

I didn’t see this mentioned but if you could find an undriiled liner, install, and start the vent hole closer to where it should be, angled forward toward where it is now, to avoid possible interference at the inside. Or, cone the inside of the new liner before drilling. Liners are cheap if it doesn’t work, barrels aren’t.

I'm just teasing and making light of the situation but I got to say it.... so I hope you receive this as lighthearted as I mean it..
From the looks of that lock and the way the hooked breech mates (doesn't) mate with the barrel, you don't have much value wrapped up in it, or much of a match winning rifle anyway. hahaha

this would be great way to decrease the value of the rifle,, taking a dremel to the pan would probably make it un-sellable..... no,,, i might wish to sell it some day... you are "over thinking" it to the point of ruin... i like the value of my firearms to increase with time...
From what I'm seeing in the photo
Is that touch hole is actually in a dam good location.
Spark flame going up the pan right into the touch hole.
Possibly be a very quick ignition.
I'd shoot the the Ole gal first. Then make the decision to move it.
At least that way when you move it and your ignition time is slower.
You can say dam.. I should have left it alone.

I'm just teasing and making light of the situation but I got to say it.... so I hope you receive this as lighthearted as I mean it..
From the looks of that lock and the way the hooked breech mates (doesn't) mate with the barrel, you don't have much value wrapped up in it, or much of a match winning rifle anyway. hahaha
whats really funny is i started this thread to find a "smith".. only one person has mentioned a smith in reply & it was himself.. it does need a bit of tightening don't it, one more thing to work on... ;>).... (i just got the rifle this morning by the way)

i've contacted GM & they requested the serial number,, it might be they will take care of it hope so, but its been a long time since these barrels were sold.. and since they put the flash hole in the breech plug, maybe they will change it? .

So, is this a GM drop in barrel? IBS?

gm LRH drop in.
i just put a different tang on the rifle & if fits much better,, but not perfect,, but darn close,, won't be difficult to fix this as the flash hole,, i'll probably try it if GM don't ask me to send it to them.. they should much as these go for now! rice barrels have to be fitted a bit at the hooked breech by filing small amounts until it lays flat.. if that was done with this one,, somebody overshot a bit....this is an easy fix though...

Isn't that a patent breech? If it is and that hole is located ahead of the back of the powder chamber, I'd rebreech it and drill a fresh hole in the correct location. If the that hole is already at the back of the powder chamber where it should be and it's that far forward then the tang and barrel just needs to be moved back. It could be plugged and re-drilled. If it were mine and l repaired it that way, I would think about it everytime I shot it and it would just make me more nuts than I already am. Just my 2 cents.

I have a rifle with a similar placed touch hole. It’s just as reliable and fast as any that I have with a perfectly placed hole. When that pan powder ignites there is a lot of flame and it’ll find that hole just fine. Fire the gun you might be surprised. I use an RMC liner in this particular rifle. That Allen wrench hole opens up that touch hole and works very well.

Going with that method, you would end up with a mess inside the bore from the vent being welded up. Electric drill? Drill press. What kind of gunsmith are you? Looking at your previous posts, it's obvious you have very little experience with muzzleloaders.
Not necessarily, a good welder with a microsystem could weld that hole closed without getting any excess material in the bore.

gm LRH drop in.

i just put a different tang on the rifle & if fits much better,, but not perfect,, but darn close,, won't be difficult to fix this as the flash hole,, i'll probably try it if GM don't ask me to send it to them.. they should much as these go for now! rice barrels have to be fitted a bit at the hooked breech by filing small amounts until it lays flat.. if that was done with this one,, somebody overshot a bit....this is an easy fix though...

If the barrel-wedge/pins are not installed yet, then a little metal removal from the tang or barrel will have it centered within just a few licks of a file.

Shoot it. Not just once, unless of course it doesn't go bang, if it does, do 3 to 5 rounds. Depending on your powder you
might have to pick your hole, sorry, touch hole, sorry again. The liner.
I don't think I would weld on the barrel. I would try to make an off set TH liner. Use a screw or bolt. Screw it in, mark
where you want to cut it off. Remove, cut it off, leave a little extra to file off later, slot it. Screw it back in and mark where
you want your TH. Take it out and drill the TH on a slight angle towards the center of the liner. Insert it, if you don't like it,
make another one, they're cheap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back