• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Short Rifle Information.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stucc1001-1038x576.jpg

I like it.
Shorter even than my traditions Tennessee. Longer than the 58 pistol i am building which is 13 inches

Interesting and, theoretically, should be as accurate as a long barrel rifle. But, a barrel that short and close to the face can make an awful muzzle blast. But, I'm sure, someone thought it suited a need.

Interesting and, theoretically, should be as accurate as a long barrel rifle. But, a barrel that short and close to the face can make an awful muzzle blast. But, I'm sure, someone thought it suited a need.

I was wondering how accurate it would be. I understand you will loose some accuracy because of the much shorter sight radius. I think this one is awful short I am thinking more like 14"-16". Probably get a junker gun and start at 18"-20" and just chop it off an inch at a time until everything feels right. Will the twist rate need to be faster in such a short barrel?

I was wondering how accurate it would be. I understand you will loose some accuracy because of the much shorter sight radius. I think this one is awful short I am thinking more like 14"-16". Probably get a junker gun and start at 18"-20" and just chop it off an inch at a time until everything feels right. Will the twist rate need to be faster in such a short barrel?
Considering it was designed for hunting on horseback, one probably would run the game down and be within a couple dozen yards.

That short barreled Jeager rifle should be very accurate, more so than a pistol that lacking a butt stock for support.

All of the original Jaegers I've owned & shot over the past few decades with good bores have been tack drivers with their short fast twist rifled barrels. By fast twist it's very typical to see original Jaegers with 30-32" barrels with one-turn in length of their barrel.
They produce consistent excellent round ball accuracy with fast twist rifling because they traditionally have deeper rifling in the .014-.018 range that grips a properly fitted prb combo solidly.

I've also obtained good accuracy in these jaegers when fitted with propper dia. slugs & cloth patches.
Most modern mfg. PRB barrels have much slower twist rifling because PRB loads will experience blowby & skid, especially with heavier loads.

Good for deer shooting from a very short distance. Be very handy in a cramped blind!

Good for deer shooting from a very short distance. Be very handy in a cramped blind!
Correction;
This .70 cal. Jeager with it's well-regulated rear folding rear sight blades has won many matches out to 200 yds & produced one shot kills on big game at similar ranges.
Those of us who have shot early English & Jeager rifles with short barrels can be equally accurate as long barrels.
Top notch PRB & slug accuracy like this was & still is attainable to barrel makers with the skills to make the proper rifling twist & depth of rifling.
Speaking of short barreled accuracy, back in the late 60's a friend built an 8" barreled percussion pistol from piece of a Springfield 45/70 barrel. He could regularly hit the bull on a long range target at 150 yds with open sights with PRBs.

My 180 some year old Jaeger remains in mechanically as new condition but unfortunately my 80+ year old carcas hasn't aged as well so just occasionally shoot my handguns now days at the local range..

No doubt, but I consider any muzzleloader a shorter range weapon when used to harvest game humanely. Not many people practice enough to get killing shots at 200 + yards, and this sport doesn’t need any bad publicity from crippled game….

A gent from ALR forum built a very close facsimile of that little rifle. I believe that he even listed it for sale when he was done. Sure looks like a fun rifle!

Yup !

It could be accurate, but with a short sight radius it would be difficult. Like others mentioned, it wasn't designed as a target gun, but to ride your prey down from horseback. Specific gun for a specific situation.

I have heard them referred to as a blanket gun. My understanding was that if hazard happened, they shortened them till straight useable barrel was left then used them under their blanket in Lou of a pistol. Also used them as buffalo guns horseback.

Back