• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Safety - Humor by Tim Allen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold on folks, he had a flintlock converted over to percussion. Well, almost. I mean, the frizzen and the pan was still there, but if you used your imagination............

Saw this episode and was shocked, to say the least, at the stupidity of some people. Allen, who has portrayed 'the average man' in almost everything that he has done, should have been aware that a flintlock and a cap lock are not the same, even if only through casual observance of the two. Seen this too often in movies and tv shows, the actor blindly speaks the line them, committing the most egregious errors.

Allen and the writers may done it that way thinking it is likely that most viewers are at least vaguely aware that a percussion cap is an ignition source for a muzzleloader.
Very few would know what priming the pan and closing the frizzen means.

Allen and the writers may done it that way thinking it is likely that most viewers are at least vaguely aware that a percussion cap is an ignition source for a muzzleloader.
Very few would know what priming the pan and closing the frizzen means.
They also could have stuck that in there to save a few seconds for another scene. I half hour TV show can only include so much dialog, so saying something that saves a few seconds may make room for another line in a scene that is more important to the director, and it's not like he failed to get the point of the scene across. For all we know they could have filmed a cut where he said "open the frizzen, pour the correct amount of powder in the pan, close the frizzen..." but it got cut in the editing room.

AND Tim Allen is a comic and a very talented one. You really think he would get serious -assuming the writers know a little - in a scene crafted to get belly laughs? I was in the audience when a show was being filmed and he was always funning around. Plus it was a patience-trying start/stop/start/stop. I guess it took a half hour or more to get just one (1) scene right. They had to repeat it over & over & over, well you get the point. Many popular writers, many who should know better, make egregious errors when guns come up. Stephen King has to be the worst of them even though I read his books.

AND Tim Allen is a comic and a very talented one. You really think he would get serious -assuming the writers know a little - in a scene crafted to get belly laughs? I was in the audience when a show was being filmed and he was always funning around. Plus it was a patience-trying start/stop/start/stop. I guess it took a half hour or more to get just one (1) scene right. They had to repeat it over & over & over, well you get the point. Many popular writers, many who should know better, make egregious errors when guns come up. Stephen King has to be the worst of them even though I read his books.
You are correct, sir! People who think the movie/TV business is glamourous are mistaken! Look at all the broken down old actors that get in trouble even they are rich!

Back