• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Rifled Muskets???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My knowledge of flintlock muskets is pretty sad. Are there any flintlock RIFLED muskets that could be used in the NMLRA Territorial musket matches?
Any information and or photos would be appreciated.
Larry

During the American War for Independence, there were rifles that came with troops from Hanover and Hesse. These are of many patterns but were of larger caliber (0.66 to 0.69). The British also issued a few rifles, the 1776 Pattern Rifle. These were the British carbine caliber 0.66. These octagon barreled rifles were not configured for attachment of a bayonet. These were primarily used by light infantry and not really in general use.

Now, I don't know if these can be used in NMLRA Territorial Matches. Need to do some more research.

It also refers to a 3 band barrel length. For example a two band Zouave and a 3 band Springfield us the same .58 cal ammunition but the Zouave is a rifle and the Springfield is a rifle musket.

The M 1814 "Common" Rifle was the first U.S. Rifle to have three bands, BUT they called it "The Common Rifle" and not a Rifle Musket. It used patched .54 cal. round balls and sometimes they made up paper cartridges for it.

1661527725048.png

The Term "Rifle Musket" was first used with the M1855 Rifle Musket for the then new Minie' ball, as far as I know.
1661528316271.png

Gus

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back