• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the urge to try a flintlock rifle and am considering either a 36 or 50 caliber. I would like to know the pros and cons of a single trigger vice double set trigger. I have a percussion TC Renegade 50 caliber with double set triggers that I built from a kit years ago and like it a lot but think I would like to try a flintlock. I have noted that flintlock rifles can have either type trigger but do not know which is better. Sure would appreciate any info from you experienced flintlock shooters. Also any rifle recommendations.

Once you shoot a flint you will not want anything else. I am too far away to offer you mine.. suggest going to a local club or to friendship Indiana in June and there you will find plenty of people willing to assist you
Best of luck.
About triggers it is personal preference but a well fit single trigger is my hunting preference but a single set is my target go to.

I have both single and double set triggers and have no actual preference. The single triggers I have are crisp, light and fine. The DST are on most of my rifles and I usually fire them set. But not always. three are very nice "unset" and that's fine with me.

My suggestion would be buy a .36 or .40 with double set triggers and hunt squirrels to see if you like...If so, then move up to a .54 and make the trigger selection then...My .40 and .54 that I have used since the '70s have double set triggers and I like them...I just got in a new rife (WoodsRunner) that has a single trigger and I'm sure it will be fine for hunting as well...

Many of the earlier rifles made in Pennsylvania had single triggers...Then later guns (like made in NC in the 1780s) would have double set triggers...

I would like to know the pros and cons of a single trigger vice double set trigger. I have a percussion TC Renegade 50 caliber with double set triggers that I built from a kit years ago and like it a lot but think I would like to try a flintlock.
Can't tell how it comes, but if you try a flintlock, you wouldn't return easily near something other else... :D
About the two triggers, try it with the second (stecher) engaged and after that, without stecher. That will not be exact but can give you an idea of what can do a single trigger...

Under recommendations for rifles, I just finished my first Woodsrunner from Kibler's. I'm already shopping my next kit from them. I fall far short of being an expert, but I am totally happy with my new rifle. Kibler's is having a sale on some of the kits.

Under recommendations for rifles, I just finished my first Woodsrunner from Kibler's. I'm already shopping my next kit from them. I fall far short of being an expert, but I am totally happy with my new rifle. Kibler's is having a sale on some of the kits.
I am also looking at the Woodsrunner kit from Kibler. From all his videos it sure seems like a nice rifle. What wood did you get with your kit?

I purchased the fancy maple. It's really nice! The balance of that rifle is like none I've ever held. Assembly was easy. Just follow the instructions and videos. The one thing I might add is to be VERY particular about the sanding of the stock. I thought I was, but when the finish went on I found where I had missed a few things.
On a side note, I just finished ordering the SMR in 45 cal with one of the Select Grade maple stocks. Next in line will be a 58 cal Colonial. That one will be my first attempt at a little carving. It's a terrible addiction!

Big Difference between .36 and .50. Question is what kind of shooting are you going to be doing? If your a hunter what do you hunt? Are you going to be shooting competition or just plinking? A properly set up single trigger Can do anything you want.

Big Difference between .36 and .50. Question is what kind of shooting are you going to be doing? If your a hunter what do you hunt? Are you going to be shooting competition or just plinking? A properly set up single trigger Can do anything you want.
Just plinking and hunting. I think I have settled on 50 caliber. Probably no competition at my age.

I have the urge to try a flintlock rifle and am considering either a 36 or 50 caliber. I would like to know the pros and cons of a single trigger vice double set trigger. I have a percussion TC Renegade 50 caliber with double set triggers that I built from a kit years ago and like it a lot but think I would like to try a flintlock. I have noted that flintlock rifles can have either type trigger but do not know which is better. Sure would appreciate any info from you experienced flintlock shooters. Also any rifle recommendations.

You will get far more use from a .36 or .40 than any larger caliber.
I would go with a .40 so a 3/8” ramrod can be used.

On a smoothbore that's used as a shotgun like mine is, a single trigger is fine. I had to install a small spring behind it so as to not have the trigger loose and flopping around when the lock is at half cock or down at full rest. .

For a rifle, where a more precise shot will be required, definitely go with a double set trigger arrangement.

Just plinking and hunting. I think I have settled on 50 caliber. Probably no competition at my age.
A .36 is a good plinking rifle doesn't use much powder or lead but kind of limits hunting to small critters. A .50 is a good caliber for deer and other lager game. A flintlock is different to shoot takes just a little longer to go off. You will need to learn how to follow through. I will hold the rifle on target until the smoke actually clears. If when the smoke clears your sights are off target that is probably where you will find your shot. Personally I don't like set triggers a properly installed single trigger can easily have a 3 lb pull . It is to easy to anticipate the shot with set triggers. The better match shooters will tell you it should be a surprise when the rifle goes off, Thats where your follow through comes in.

My first flinter was a single trigger, then I built one with Crockett double sets on it.
The difference is huge. Good thing the EX made off with the first flinter, might of had to double set it too.

You already have a gun with double set triggers, so you know what it's like shooting with or without them set. I don't know about the TC, but with a traditional lock it's not hard , find someone who knows what they're doing if the single trigger pull is too heavy for your liking, and they can lighten it. That is... once you get a flintlock. Pulling triggers on a flintlock will be no different. The difference in shooting, and hitting your target, comes right after the pull. As far as caliber goes... whatever meetes your needs.

I’ll go against the grain and say that flintlocks work best with a GOOD single trigger. A few years ago, I won the Indiana state table shoot with a flintlock I made with a properly set up single trigger. I also shoot regularly in offhand club shoots, using both simple single and double set triggers. I usually shoot better with the single triggers. I believe a single trigger works better with flint ignition because of the split second difference in the time between squeezing the trigger and the rifle actually going off. With a percussion ignition, there there is less time to “flinch” and pull off target, so set triggers make more sense. With the flintlock, one has to hold steady longer and follow through longer, and a single trigger makes that easier to do.

I’ll go against the grain and say that flintlocks work best with a GOOD single trigger. A few years ago, I won the Indiana state table shoot with a flintlock I made with a properly set up single trigger. I also shoot regularly in offhand club shoots, using both simple single and double set triggers. I usually shoot better with the single triggers. I believe a single trigger works better with flint ignition because of the split second difference in the time between squeezing the trigger and the rifle actually going off. With a percussion ignition, there there is less time to “flinch” and pull off target, so set triggers make more sense. With the flintlock, one has to hold steady longer and follow through longer, and a single trigger makes that easier to do.
Anyone who learns how to follow through when they shoot a flintlock and then shoots their percussion guns the same way will be hard to beat in a match.

I would think that if possible it would be best to shoot both styles in good quality locks. A properly tuned lock is light years better than a standard mass production lock. For me the single is my definite preference.

Okabow, I would say that you're a pretty good shot. I won a trail walk once. Just once. I believe that thousands of people who depended on their flintlocks to feed their families would agree with you. And thousands would disagree. My gun has a good barrel and a good lock... and I'm fairly certain that if you took the human factor out of the equation, my flintlock would perform just as well shooting the front trigger by itself, or shooting the rear one set. It's a matter of what works best for each of us; as there are many human variables that come into play when shooting. I always fire my rifle with the triggers set, whether I'm shooting at soup cans or a deer. It's now a matter of habit for me, and that's how I shoot best. As stated above, a proper lock is probably the most important factor in the mechanical side of things.

Its something you’ll probably change you mind on over time, I did. Good single trigger on a flintlock for me. Issac Haines 40-45 38” swamped rifle is the cats meow.

Latest posts

Back