• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock rifle project. Patch box depth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I recently got a flintlock built buy a guy who I think assembled a kit. It has. 36" Green Mountain .50 cal straight barrel (7/8) and what appears to be a Siler lock. While some things were done reasonably well, other things were definitely not. The patch box depth is so shallow it us practically useless. Any thoughts on a good average depth for the patch box? I'll post photos soon.
Thanks you all suggestions!
Snooterpup

One reason to build early lancasters and such. Big butt= room for normal sized ( usually marked big, extra large , or family sized, in other words light snack sized)
Acaint hardly get a bite of M&Ms in my SMR

Good morning all,
I recently got a flintlock built buy a guy who I think assembled a kit. It has. 36" Green Mountain .50 cal straight barrel (7/8) and what appears to be a Siler lock. While some things were done reasonably well, other things were definitely not. The patch box depth is so shallow it us practically useless. Any thoughts on a good average depth for the patch box? I'll post photos soon.
Thanks you all suggestions!
Snooterpup
Unless you are a period correct guy, make it as deep as you want. It is your rifle.
Flintloclar 🇺🇸

However deep you go, I wouldn't go much past half the thickness of the stock. It's probably plenty strong to go deeper, but why? In my experience, the only people that really open and inspect the inside of patch boxes are people that don't own the gun. We spend a lot of time on making them and their release mechanisms and then we seldom (if ever) actually USE them.

However deep you go, I wouldn't go much past half the thickness of the stock. It's probably plenty strong to go deeper, but why? In my experience, the only people that really open and inspect the inside of patch boxes are people that don't own the gun. We spend a lot of time on making them and their release mechanisms and then we seldom (if ever) actually USE them.
Kind of what I was thinking. I ordered one of those "cigar" shaped ones with my SMR "kit" but pretty sure I'm not going to put it in. Plus there was not instructions for it, only a sheet from Track of the Wolf about patch boxes that are way different. I've never seen one so not sure how it works.

Well, I did it... the original assembler of the kit cut the patch box recess only 11/32" deep and went too close to the butt plate for my liking. His recess was 1-1/4" wide. I deepened the recess with a 1-1/4" forstner bit to just shy of 7/8" and addeed maple repair pieces to fix things to my liking. I'm happy with the result! Thanks to everyone for their opinions! Photos to follow

Hello again, here are the photos of the patch box recess with the repair pieces fitted and glued in.
Thanks again everyone
0EA2F86A-AC3E-468C-A170-84EC2F9A83D8.jpeg
C8C7B8AB-F15F-46F2-83A8-B72B9E006163.jpeg

I do like a roomy tool box as that's what they mostly are. Any rifle I make has a deep roomy reassess room for spare flints , a jag,& vent pick & a ball drawer with such rag as will cap the tools a ball drawer & be useful . But no patches , a good light jag is a stainless wire brush for 38 cal pistols serves as a sure grip jag all fitting the standard rod tip.
Rudyard

Back