• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock rifle - need part

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTyler7011

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I lost the spring that makes these two stage triggers work. Where can I get one? I pointed to the whole where the old spring went.

Also, I hate the 2 trigger setup. Can these be changed out for just 1 trigger? I don’t know much about building these

Attachments

• EB562F40-A889-4101-8937-3F07D8AB8713.jpeg
    EB562F40-A889-4101-8937-3F07D8AB8713.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 710F948C-52C5-4420-AF3E-719A27C689D1.jpeg
    710F948C-52C5-4420-AF3E-719A27C689D1.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 0
You can send the trigger to the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi OH: they can fit a new spring to your trigger at reasonable cost, and it would likely be less work than fitting a single trigger.

If I am reading your post correctly and the arrow is pointing to where you think there was a spring - there should not be a spring there. Where your arrow is pointing (and underneath the main spring) there could be a threaded hole for a screw that can be adjusted to set backlash. You do not have to have that screw for the trigger assembly to work, but it will work smoother if you do and adjust it correctly. Your local hardware store probably has an Allen head set screw that will be the right thread size.

Now, if you are talking about a longer spring that comes from the front of your triggers towards the back that in effect puts pressure on the front trigger to provide some resistance and to return it to a forward position - that is a different ball game. Who made the rifle - is it a Commercial made one or a custom made. Knowing that will help in determining which brand of trigger you may have. Once we know that, you can get a quick answer. If it is from a custom rifle, take some more pictures from all the different views of the trigger group and it can then be identified and you will get your answer.

If I am reading your post correctly and the arrow is pointing to where you think there was a spring - there should not be a spring there. Where your arrow is pointing (and underneath the main spring) there could be a threaded hole for a screw that can be adjusted to set backlash. You do not have to have that screw for the trigger assembly to work, but it will work smoother if you do and adjust it correctly. Your local hardware store probably has an Allen head set screw that will be the right thread size.

Now, if you are talking about a longer spring that comes from the front of your triggers towards the back that in effect puts pressure on the front trigger to provide some resistance and to return it to a forward position - that is a different ball game. Who made the rifle - is it a Commercial made one or a custom made. Knowing that will help in determining which brand of trigger you may have. Once we know that, you can get a quick answer. If it is from a custom rifle, take some more pictures from all the different views of the trigger group and it can then be identified and you will get your answer.
I will do this tomorrow. Yes, it is the spring that keeps pressure on the front trigger. Right now it’s just bouncing off and not setting

Does this help you ?

Attachments

• E43F07B6-0F46-4B65-AE89-A9E2FCBABA06.jpeg
    E43F07B6-0F46-4B65-AE89-A9E2FCBABA06.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D1DDD1DB-9E22-498D-A8FD-4EB0730DBE7C.jpeg
    D1DDD1DB-9E22-498D-A8FD-4EB0730DBE7C.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3F69B8AA-8AA6-4872-8A35-E3B27A8E2A04.jpeg
    3F69B8AA-8AA6-4872-8A35-E3B27A8E2A04.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    4.7 MB
In the first picture the front trigger spring runs from that tiny hole to the left of the mainsprng tip to the front left side of the front trigger. You can bend a piece of music wire to make one in a few minutes. It just wedges in the hole under its own tension. You could also order a single trigger and drill it for the front trigger hole. The trigger pull weight might not be ideal but it would be an easy modification.

Is this a commercial made rifle or a custom build? To know would help on getting you on track for finding a spring.

Someone may recognize the trigger and give you an answer for finding a replacement.

Is this a commercial made rifle or a custom build? To know would help on getting you on track for finding a spring.

Someone may recognize the trigger and give you an answer for finding a replacement.
It’s custom built

Does this help you ?
Yes in the third pic the screw head is bottomed out on the plate. it looks to be a replacement that has been screwed all the way in. BACK it out or take it out , I will bet the trigger will set. The screw id the adjustment so you may make it lighter or harder the way it looks screwed in all the way the trigger cannot set.

After looking at your short video, I can see that the edge of the rear trigger bar where it latches with the front trigger is pretty rounded. That also needs to be squared up to a sharp edge for a safe trigger.

Not a guitar spring. A piano wire. I think your trigger is either a custom made or one that is no longer made. A new spring can be made, a new trigger can be fitted or it can be used as is as a single trigger. Any good builder can get you going.

Not a guitar spring. A piano wire. I think your trigger is either a custom made or one that is no longer made. A new spring can be made, a new trigger can be fitted or it can be used as is as a single trigger. Any good builder can get you going.
Then something isn’t right. It has never worked as a single trigger.

Back