• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Rifle Availability?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach20smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm 19 and have been hunting for 7 or 8 years at this point, all either through archery or standard shotguns and rifles. In the past year or so I've been looking to get into hunting with a flintlock rifle, partially for the traditional aspect and partially due to my state (PA) having its own flintlock season.

I've looked all over the place, but everywhere I look it seems almost no one has anything in stock (backorder) and many places don't even have anything for backorder. Since I'm new to the flintlock community, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence, or whether it's due to covid and such, or whether I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, just a well built and solid quality flintlock to start with.

Any suggestions on where to look or the best way to approach buying a flintlock rifle? Are there flintlocks readily available or is it always this difficult to find?

Thanks!

Check the for sale ads above. A flint lock to learn on and hunt with won’t be cheap. You can get a cheaper rifle but you’ll spend your time figuring out how to make it work. The one above is good quality and will hold it value and serve you well. Cheaper in the long run for a young fellow.

You don't mention the range of money you are willing to pay. Whatever it is my advice would be the same, save up your money till you can afford a good quality piece, it will hold its value and you will avoid being frustrated by lower grade materials and workmanship which will cause you to loose interest. Good luck in your search, it can be half the fun!
Robby

Welcome! I started shooting flintlocks at about the same age and have never looked back. In all seriousness, if you can learn to shoot a flintlock well, you'll be able to shoot anything well.

Direct answers to your questions:
1. Yes, most places are back ordered or otherwise out of stock on factory rifles, like Pedersoli, Lyman, etc. A great many factory rifles are Italian (they nearly have the whole market covered in terms of good quality, factory reproductions of 18th-19th century arms). The Italian economy has been hammered hard by COVID and the ensuing closures, need for raw materials, shipping delays, etc.

2. Go used. Check the classifieds here and at Americanlongrifles.com. There are often good flintlocks for sale.

3. You'll see a wide range of prices, so let us know what your budget is. As was said before, I'd strongly urge you to consider saving more. If you get a good first one, you'll be MUCH happier and have an easier time. $1000 seems like a lot if money (it IS a lot if money), but that seems to be the point where you break from factory rifles, like Pedersoli, into the next grade up.

You certainly do not HAVE to spend that much. Lyman, Pedersoli, Thompson Center, and others make very reliable, accurate rifles that will go for a good bit less. If it's me, I'd be looking for a Lyman Great Plains or Deerstalker in that price range.

But it's just a consideration. Guns from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading and Tennessee Valley Manufacturing (yes, there are two different companies), Kibler, and a couple others are pretty common, high quality and favorites within the next level up.

A place to look online to see what is availiable
I'm 19 and have been hunting for 7 or 8 years at this point, all either through archery or standard shotguns and rifles. In the past year or so I've been looking to get into hunting with a flintlock rifle, partially for the traditional aspect and partially due to my state (PA) having its own flintlock season.

I've looked all over the place, but everywhere I look it seems almost no one has anything in stock (backorder) and many places don't even have anything for backorder. Since I'm new to the flintlock community, I'm not sure if this is a common occurrence, or whether it's due to covid and such, or whether I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, just a well built and solid quality flintlock to start with.

Any suggestions on where to look or the best way to approach buying a flintlock rifle? Are there flintlocks readily available or is it always this difficult to find?

Thanks!

Look at the Pedersoli web site to see what they offer.

Also look at Dixie Gun Works online, they offer many different manufacturers and price ranges. It will also show what is available to buy right now.

There is a new book coming out from the NMLRA I believe by Eric Bye right after the first of the year. Buy it before you buy. Learn all you can first. Do a member search here and send Eric Bye a Private Message, he will help you.

Nothing can be as disheartening for a new flintlock shooter as having a flintlock that will not shoot.
I agree with the others here and suggest that you learn what you can, ask what ever questions that come up and also pal-up with someone who knows what he/she is doing with a flintlock.
Finally, remember that you get what you pay for. A cheep rifle (or pistol) will more than likely fail you and steal away the fun and thrill of your exprience. Flintlocks are a lot of fun to shoot, but like any good sport it takes time to learn, practice and succeed.
Best wishes!

@zach20smith, one more question: what are you looking to do with it? I see you're in PA, and you reference the PA flintlock hunting season. Are you looking only to take advantage of a few extra days in the season (which I think is totally worth it by itself, BTW!)? Or are you interested in making it more of an ongoing shooting interest?

I ask, because pretty much everyone here is deep into it, and before we go steering you into the deep end, I just want to make sure that's where you wanna go.

Fully agree with everyone's suggestions !! The one place no one suggested for you is "GUNBROKER.COM . I was just on their site yesterday and there was around 6 or 7 good flinters for sale there !! Yeah , i am looking for myself also !! Good luck in your endeavors and welcome to the black powder world !!

Dixie Gun Works had several Pedersoili guns in stock yesterday … kits and finished guns

6A567984-230D-464D-899B-7EEF3A481B5E.jpeg

plus all this eye candy….

Welcome too the Forum! Enjoy the ride..👍

I went and looked in my library and found the below:

Flintlocks
A Practical Guide For Their Use And Appreciation by Eric A. Bye

It should be available from the NMLRA, published in 2013. It should be required reading as Ned Roberts book should be for the percussion shooter. If you cannot get it there, try the Log Cabin, they have a major library.

As before, I read he has a new one coming out after the first of the year.

fdf

Thanks!

With the flintlock specific season in PA, I have often wondered what one might find in the pawn shops after the season ends?

As a recommendation for an economy flintlock in 50cal that will permit your to participate in PA late primitive season, I suggest Dixie Gunworks Kentucky rifle. It is currently in stock according to their website at a reasonable price of $509. I built the same gun from a kit except as a percussion lock. The barrel is 1 in 66” twist and I found it to be very accurate. It is 7 lbs so reasonably light as well. Good luck. Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Depending where you live, Dixon's Gun Shop in Kempton, PA might have something for you.

Latest posts

Back