• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Pistols in PA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(The OP is referring to PA's Flintlock season. In a rifle, ".44 caliber and larger" is legal for deer (".50 caliber or larger handgun"). My following comments are just to clarify where cap and ball revolvers fit in the scheme of things.)

My understanding is that cap and ball revolvers are centerfires, not muzzleloaders (we discuss them on the Forum because they existed in the time frames covered here). Unless my memory is confused (not an unknown situation), you have posted pictures here of older cap boxes that were marked "Centerfire", and carried such a box when you were hunting. They can be used in regular gun season, but not Muzzleloading/Flintlock season. The .44s were expected to down a horse, so deer shouldn't pose a problem, used within their (and your) limitations. Small game...handguns with an all lead bullet or ball", again, a cap and ball revolver should be fine.

The ".50 caliber or larger" restriction applies to elk hunting , rifles and pistols. 210 grain minimum weight projectile.

Richard/Grumpa

An interesting situation since the minimum caliber for deer with a muzzle loader pistol is 50 caliber. Of course the bug a boo, is that cap and ball revolvers are not muzzle loaders. However a recent change in the rules permits permits "breech loaders that use loose ball and powder. Intended for the Sharps and Ferguson rifles, but they haven't said whether a revolver carbine in 44 caliber is a breech loader. Before this change, I and some at the Commission took the position that cap and ball revolvers were centerfire. As far as I am concerned cap and ball revolvers do not load from the breech either, so under the law, I still view them as centerfire. For that reason, I carried caps in an old Remington cap box that said they were center fire. A WCO would have a hard time claiming he knew more about cap and ball revolvers than the Remington or Winchester companies. I also have a box of Winchester caps marked center fire. In PA there will continue to be confusion until the game commission actually adopts some reasonable definitions.

Back