• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Pistol completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just finished building this flintlock pistol today. Siler lock, GM barrel, Pecatonica stock and various parts from MBS.
I found a small surface stress crack (or maybe I over-wet it raising the grain?) on the side panel after dying the wood. I was so upset. Nothing takes the wind out of my sales than stuff like this.
I wanted to test fire it out but we're getting rain storms passing through again (got some sprinkles while taking these pictures). Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better opportunity.

Attachments

• Done 15.jpg
    Done 15.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Done 14.jpg
    Done 14.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Done 16.jpg
    Done 16.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Done 18.jpg
    Done 18.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Done 19 rain.jpg
    Done 19 rain.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Done 7.jpg
    Done 7.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have just finished building this flintlock pistol today. Siler lock, GM barrel, Pecatonica stock and various parts from MBS.
I wanted to test fire it out but we're getting rain storms passing through again (got some sprinkles while taking these pictures). Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better opportunity.
Looks Great!

my pistol build developed a crack parallel to the tang on the lock side. didn't show until stain. what can ya do at that point but glue it and hope it stays stable. a gouge just makes me mad at myself. maybe steam it out but that means refinishing.

beautiful pistol !
This one isn't deep and it could have been sanded out if I reshaped the panel. It's a cosmetic flaw that drives me nuts.

I think the build looks great, and I personally don’t think the crack is all that bad. After all, the pistol will develop more dings and scratches with use and help “blend” it in.
Yup- I was thinking of distressing the stock to give it an old look like it’s been around a while. Then I decided to go ahead and let it get all those beauty marks on its own 😎

I found a small surface stress crack (or maybe I over-wet it raising the grain?) on the side panel after dying the wood. I was so upset. Nothing takes the wind out of my sales than stuff like this.
Nice job! Thanks for posting! Liked see the fine photos.

Outstanding work, @PathfinderNC ! Elegant design. I love the simplicity of that pistol. The brass mountings are perfect… not tarnished or mirror polished. They have just the right “glow.”

It’s hard to believe that’s their plain maple. Wow… that’s a nice stick of wood!

Keep up your good work!

Notchy Bob

Back