• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Only Deer Hunting Seasons by State??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zimmerstutzen, When I petitioned our DNR, I was just trying to crack the ice. I expect it will take many years to come to pass, if ever. But you have given me an idea about getting my local state rep involved. Thanks for your input.

Its the mind set of idiots shooting out there that will kill you. I wear orange on Sundays in Maine. A day with no hunting. Poaching is poaching, dead is dead.
A poacher will shoot deer in July. They don't give a rats arse if its deer season or not. You think they care if its flintlock only?
25 years ago I was pinned down by overshooting of a target in CT. Laid on the ground for half an hour while lead hit the trees right next to me at 6' above ground level in the woods behind a reservoir . Shots were a half mile away. Shouting did no good at all. Moron. Him, not you.
Dead is dead. Don't assume flintlock only will protect you and only the knowledgeable folks are in the woods with you. You are not alone. Idiots will cheat and you may pay the price.
At least for close range, wear the orange.

I agree that wearing orange is a good idea while out during a muzzleloading season but I don't say that because irresponsible hunters are there.

Even the hunters that use the unmentionable rifles know they only have one shot so they take care and aim carefully. Not at all like the modern cartridge shooters who have the capability of fast or automatic reloading and will carelessly shoot off several shots on the off chance that one of them might hit the animal they are shooting at.

Even so, if a hunter isn't wearing a bright, easily seen color it is all to easy for even a cautious muzzleloading hunter to not notice that the hunter is in the line of fire before they squeeze off their shot.

During regular hunting seasons, I've seen modern rifle hunters fire 2 or 3 shots as fast as they could pull the trigger and there was absolutely nothing between them and the nearest tree for over 150 yards. They obviously didn't take the time to take a carefully aimed shot and most likely they had no idea about what was in the area they were shooting into.

Most muzzleloading hunters on the other hand know exactly what they are shooting at but even so, if you are standing in the background, visually blending in with the bushes or trees around you, they won't see you before they take the shot.

Last edited:
I agree that wearing orange is a good idea while out during a muzzleloading season but I don't say that because irresponsible hunters are there.

Even the hunters that use the unmentionable rifles know they only have one shot so they take care and aim carefully. Not at all like the modern cartridge shooters who have the capability of fast or automatic reloading and will carelessly shoot off several shots on the off chance that one of them might hit the animal they are shooting at.

Even so, if a hunter isn't wearing a bright, easily seen color it is all to easy for even a cautious muzzleloading hunter to not notice that the hunter is in the line of fire before they squeeze off their shot.

During regular hunting seasons, I've seen modern rifle hunters fire 2 or 3 shots as fast as they could pull the trigger and there was absolutely nothing between them and the nearest tree for over 150 yards. They obviously didn't take the time to take a carefully aimed shot and most likely they had no idea about what was in the area they were shooting into.

Most muzzleloading hunters on the other hand know exactly what they are shooting at but even so, if you are standing in the background, visually blending in with the bushes or trees around you, they won't see you before they take the shot.

Zonie, you're absolutely right to wear hunters orange. I started teaching hunter safety in Montana before hunters orange was required, you could wear just red. If you've ever hunted around anybody that wore just red, you know that it appears almost black in early late or late evenings. The thing that saved more lives than any one thing in Montana, was not us hunter safety teachers but the requirement of international or hunters orange. Bird hunters aren't required to wear hunters orange even during big-game season. Even in my small locality, some years ago a bird hunting woman wearing a brown jacket was shot for a deer. The deer was running, the Hunter was shooting, and when they lined up with the woman it was fatal. As instructors we have tried and tried to get all hunters except turkey hunters required to wear hunters orange and we have failed miserably. The original law in Montana was, even just a cap, was enough to qualify legal. When it was changed, it required 400 sq inches of hunters orange, connected, above the waist. Perhaps someday I'll see it required for all hunters everywhere that there is a loaded firearm.
Thanks for your comments.
Squint

I think blaze or hunter orange is a Godsend. Many years ago, I was hunting a field about fifty yds by 100 yds. The entire field was surrounded by thick woods. It was vary late in the afternoon getting on toward dusk. Within my extreme field of view at a 100 yds, I could barely see something orange moving from my right to left through the woods. I got my binoculars on it and it was another hunter wearing only an orange hat. I would not have taken a 100 yard shot but he would have been downrange on any shot I took. I've never had a problem wearing orange but this proved to me how important it was to wear it.

Lotta folk think deer can see the orange and wont wear it. Over the years I have taught myself that is total BS. On more than one occasion I have called in Elk and turkey while wearing bright red plaid shirts (tend to hunt n cut wood together and dress for the sure thing LOL). My Friends it is all about movement. You move they see ya, period. Try becoming a stone while a turkey approaches. At about 30 yds go ahead and blink. My point will be proven. Oh, and wear what ever color ya want to call ol Tom into blinking range. This why some wear netting over their face. I just squint good so I dont have to blink. Twitch yer lil finger instead if ya want.

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't wear orange (not required here) as a rule. During regular season, I got tired of looking through my binos at some fool looking back at me with his scope.(and rifle) I carry a hat that is orange in my pack and an orange sack with my game bags but only use them when packing out meat.

Latest posts

Back