• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Only Deer Hunting Seasons by State??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish.

Sothern Zone of NY is flintlock only for the nine days after regular season with the exception of percussion, in-lines, iron sights, scope sights, ranging second (late) season for traditional bows, non-traditional bows, pin-sights, lazer sights, transvestsites and now crossbows.

I'm not sure about Maverick missiles but would not rule them out. :shake:

Although its not flintlock only, TN wildlife refuges have a pretty good thing going October 8-9. its a primitive hunt, no scopes,No inlines. ONLY longbows, recurves and side hammers with iron sights. The limit is 3 deer all bonus and 1 can be antlered. It also means a quiet peaceful time in the woods. TN has way too many folks pretending to be shooting muzzleloaders these days dropping 2-3 powder pellets and shoving rifle bullets wrapped in plastic down the barrel. Since that doesnt work too good in a side hammer, They have to stay home for this one.

Not in Oklahoma.
Wish they had a season for sidelocks only.
In-lines w/ 9x250 powered scopes and jacketed bullets belong in regular gun season.

:rotf: Seems like N.Y is in the primitive days with their game laws.The only thing is they don't know it.I contacted the DEC and the editorial colomn of the N.Y Outdoors news paper about a 3 day primitive hunt,but to know availe.Not much interest i guess. :idunno: Griz

My deer hunting in North Carolina is a special Flintlock only season, running from October 29th through January 1st.
(but its my choice, not the state of NC...LOL)

Connecticut
Dec 7- Dec 20
1 either sex
Minimum of .45
scopes allowed

Oh I'm sorry. I missed "flintlock only" part. This one is muzzleloader only season.

Not in Va. It's just a "muzzleloading" season prior to the regular firearms season. No matter, I use flint from the start and all the way through, period.

Wish we had something like that in Arkansas. The muzzle loading only season was originally intended to provide a quiet, low pressure, early season hunt for a limited number of people. I remember the woods were quiet and the hunts very enjoyable. As the sport grew the woods more resembled shopping center parking lots, but noiser. Then the inlines came along and ancillary businesses (gas stations, restaurants, motels, etc.) saw the dollars coming in and, now, the ml season is simply an extension of regular deer seasons. The tradition part is gone, it is a meat harvest only.

I have read that PA is the only state with a state wide dedicated flint lock only season. It starts the day after Christmas, (unless it is a Sunday) and runs for three weeks. During that same time, archers are also in the woods for deer.

zimmerstutzen said:
I have read that PA is the only state with a state wide dedicated flint lock only season. It starts the day after Christmas, (unless it is a Sunday) and runs for three weeks. During that same time, archers are also in the woods for deer.

All true. We also have an early Muzzleloader season, which is antlerless only, and open to flintlock, percussion, and those other things. There's a big push to get Sunday hunting here now too, and I sure hope it passes!

https://idfg.idaho.gov/weapons

In Idaho Equipment for Muzzleloader-ONLY Hunts

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS
A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear

I wanted a primitive season. So I called the wildlife biologist for my region. He said no one had ever brought that up before and told me what to do. So back in late January of this year I looked up how to petition the Indiana DNR for a rules change to allow for a primitive season. I followed all the rules and requirements outlined on the petition page and submitted it on January 30th. On the 31st I received acknowledgement of my email and it was being processed by the rules committee. The way I understand the process is the next step is to set up statewide hearings. The point I'm making is any average person can petition their DNR for a primitive season but you need to follow your state guide lines. Of course then everything hit the fan, so it may be a while.

Last edited:
I wanted a primitive season. So I called the wildlife biologist for my region. He said no one had ever brought that up before and told me what to do. So back in late January of this year I looked up how to petition the Indiana DNR for a rules change to allow for a primitive season. I followed all the rules and requirements outlined on the petition page and submitted it on January 30th. On the 31st I received acknowledgement of my email and it was being processed by the rules committee. The way I understand the process is the next step is to set up statewide hearings. The point I'm making is any average person can petition their DNR for a primitive season but you need to follow your state guide lines. Of course then everything hit the fan, so it may be a while.
In Pennsylvania, it took about 500 devout flint lock shooters a few years and it also took a statute passed by the legislature to force it on the Game Commission.

Back