• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Long Rifle setup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 76, when I was 67 I could still handle anything, almost. In the past 4 years arthritis has become a problem. My smoothbore 20 ga. weighs close to 8 lbs. and wears on my back at the end of the day. I drove a truck for a living and never worried about picking anything up until it got over 100 lbs. Now I struggle with a 40 lb. bag of dog food. In general we don't get stronger as we age.

The 54 Hawkins Renegade is a dream to shoot just right short and easy to carry!!!

I would suggest that a flintlock hunting rifle works best with a simple single trigger.
Couldn't agree more. While I've only had two rifles with a single trigger (still have one) both worked very well. Most of my guns have the set trigger which I NEVER use while hunting. Even though the set trigger is there, it might as well be a single trigger the way I use them.

I agree about advising that you consider a .45 (or a .50), depending on your (& surrounding) state's ML hunting regs on minimum caliber. At 65, I had no trouble handling or hunting with any rifle, but at 73 I find myself wishing my 38".50 barrel was swamped (for aiming balance) and would think twice about taking anything much heavier than it's 7.5# into the woods for a lengthy hunt.

From what you say, he sounds like he's in fine health, but you are planning a wonderful gift; plan ahead so he can continue to enjoy it for another couple decades.

For a set trigger, I'd advise one wgich can be used set or as a simple trigger, for the most options. Just get it tuned so it isn't overly heavy in simple trigger mode.

He's lucky to have such a grandson.

I'm 73 and am always interested in lighter weight. My .54 is a swamped 38".
Weighs 7-7.5. Very well balanced so I don't feel like I'm carrying something heavy.
You may find that the lock can make a difference. Get a better quality lock.
And make this rifle nice. Less is more. But in this case more shouldn't be trades for the less.

Back