• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock, lock tuning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1980's .62 fullstock with an L&R lock. I would like to get it tuned up, Have seen alot of ad's for Cabin Creek flintlock RX. Anyone have good or bad to say, OR another recomendation. Thanks, Stu

I just handed Brad two old Siler kits somebody botched when he and his son were set up here at the 18th Century Artisans Show.

I can't think of anybody I would rather have working on my locks. Enjoy, J.D.

Yes. Brad and Shane Emig, Cabin Creek Muzzleloading, 50 W. Beaver St. Hallam, PA, 17406....South central PA, just North of York.

I don't know that Brad will mess with a Lyman lock. You can try calling him and asking.

Phone (717) 757-5841

Enjoy, J.D.

Stubert said:
I have a 1980's .62 fullstock with an L&R lock. I would like to get it tuned up, Have seen alot of ad's for Cabin Creek flintlock RX. Anyone have good or bad to say, OR another recomendation. Thanks, Stu

You might ask here
http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

For a reference. These guys know their stuff.
If you like tradtional MLs their fair will be of interest.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuning a lock may result in faster ignition time. It refers to making sure all parts are well polished to eliminate as much friction as possible. May involve modification of the springs and even bending the hammer for a better strike on the frizzen.

Does it need a Tune up? or is it sparking fine, and just a good cleaning is in order.
It seems that the "Tuned lock" is like a parrot phrase a lot of times,and guns that shoot just fine, and reliably somehow need to be messed with.
There are certainly locks with issues,worn parts, etc. that do need to be worked on.
Often we are trying to fix things that are working fine, and not broken.

Earl Kathan came highly recommended by Track of the Wolf, so I had him tune up a couple of my flint locks. He does outstanding work. He is a Great guy to do business with! :thumbsup: http://flintlockrepair.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others I am wondering why you think your lock needs a tune up and what you believe that means. In the majority of instances when a lock isn't functioning well I'll find the inletting to be at fault. The spring, tumbler and even cock frequently are rubbing against wood. Sometimes this can be corrected with a pocket knife. Other times it requires a few minutes more with a small flat chisle. Except for El Cheapo import locks (and my infamous Davis Jaeger lock) rarely is more than that needed.

I have a gun built by Brad it has a large siler lock and it tuned very well, super fast ignition. My dad has a TC renegade that Brad worked on his lock. He put in a new frizzen and tuned the springs and the rest of the lock. It now shoots almost as fast as my siler

A lot can be done to even a quality lock to improve it's performance.

Will most people notice if an otherwise correctly functioning lock is tuned? Maybe not.

Will the lock perform better and likely be more reliable and last longer? You bet.

Enjoy, J.D.

Latest posts

Back