• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
A comment on another thread of mine got me thinking more specifically about kit gun options.

I know this forum is very Kibler orientated, but what are some other good quality kit options excluding kibler?

Main thing is a gun with a good flint lock, overral good quality and decent stock options.

Lots of good kits out there. Kibler is the easiest with high quality parts. A kit using a Siler or Chambers lock is very good. Barrels of any major brand will give good service. Style is up to you but pick one with good parts rather then something like Traditions. Check out some of the companies that specialize in muzzleloaders. These are a bit harder to build but can make a fine rifle. Here’s one example.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...-LIST-WC/KIT-LA-COLONIAL-14-40-WAX-CAST-FLINT

Here's another fowler option for you. Dunlap Woodcrafts is a good outfit that doesn't get a lot of notice on these forums.
http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets/english-fowler-rifleAs an aside, I believe the reason this forum "seems to be Kibler oriented" has to do with the fact that Jim Kibler created a sea change in muzzleloader kits by offering historically correct, high quality rifle kits that can literally be assembled sitting in your living room. Pretty much every other "kit" on the market will provide a novice such as myself the opportunity to turn $1000.00 worth of parts into a $500.00 rifle....( if I'm lucky). Good luck in your search.
Oh, and not to be too "Kibler oriented"...but rumors within the community have it that Jim's next offering ( possibly later this year) will be some sort of Fowler or smoothbore trade gun. Just a rumor.

Here's another fowler option for you. Dunlap Woodcrafts is a good outfit that doesn't get a lot of notice on these forums.
http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets/english-fowler-rifleAs an aside, I believe the reason this forum "seems to be Kibler oriented" has to do with the fact that Jim Kibler created a sea change in muzzleloader kits by offering historically correct, high quality rifle kits that can literally be assembled sitting in your living room. Pretty much every other "kit" on the market will provide a novice such as myself the opportunity to turn $1000.00 worth of parts into a $500.00 rifle....( if I'm lucky). Good luck in your search.
Oh, and not to be too "Kibler oriented"...but rumors within the community have it that Jim's next offering ( possibly later this year) will be some sort of Fowler or smoothbore trade gun. Just a rumor.

I'm not pro or anti kibler, I just want to put together as many makers as I can because I'll be lucky if one imports to here.

After a bunch of years yearning for my own long rifle...doable only as a kit on my budget, I have a Kibler kit ordered as of yesterday. .58 cal Colonial. Exactly the look/era I want, and more importantly within my time availability and skill set to put together a quality rifle. I had looked at most every other kit /parts manufacturer out there. I do not have a dedicated work area to set up for an extended project or the money to put into a build that I could easily botch. My thanks to Kibler for seeing this market and filling it.

If you've got a few builds under your belt, there's really no reason why you can't simply decide on a particular style gun, then just piecemeal parts as you need them until the gun is complete. That's what I did with my .32 caliber squirrel rifle.

Chances are, once you've built a few guns, you will have some extra parts left over. Sometimes I'd order 2 or three of things like screws, touch hole liners, etc. One gets used, the others go into the tool box. You'd be surprised how many spares you wind up with. Pay it forward on a future build and that's less you've got to buy.

Decide which parts you can make yourself, then hit the hardware store. Flat items like side plates, toe plates, decorative brass inlays, etc all can be made easily. I bought one piece of sheet brass at the local Ave hardware and used it to make the above items at a fraction of the cost of a pre-made part included in a kit.

Let's face it, a kit is just an assemblage of parts that you are paying somebody else to put in a box for you. By saving parts from previous builds, and by making parts yourself, you can cut down the cost of building a gun tremendously. Plus, I find it fun sourcing parts online myself. This way I get exactly what I want. Now, when ordering online, bundle parts together to save on shipping. In the end you can save money by creating your own " kit " so to speak.

I assembled and finished a Kibler SMR. Currently I'm building a Chambers PA Fowler. Very pleased with the quality of the parts and the Chambers' family are great folks.

Others to consider:
Pecatonica (just got their printed catalogs in)
Log cabin shop
Track of the wolf

If I were to remove the kit part and just say what are some of the better brands and models of flintlocks what would peoples suggestions be?

Either a fowler or long rifle (latter in 50 cal or better to meet state laws for deer)

I have inquired about the left hand kits, Kibler won't even give a possible time when or if they will be available.

Let’s face it gang. The reason there are not too many left hand guns and parts available, is that there were very few historically. Most left hand locks were for double barreled guns.
Being left handed was considered a curse a couple centuries ago.

After watching and loading for me for nearly a year at competitions, my 9 y/o finally asked for his own muzzleloader. Being only 9 AND Left handed, I searched high and low for something. Ended up building a Sitting Fox Kit. This was my first build type project of ANY nature since model airplanes as a kid. It was WAY more advanced than I had expected. Rod hole was drilled, Barrel channel was cut. Lock was 75% inlet. But that was it. all metal parts had their sprue or cast marks, Plate, tang, and trigger needed inletting, etc etc. I learned a LOT doing this. I was able to finish the rifle with basic tools and some makeshift jigs. Aaaaand then my son grew RIGHT out of it! hahaha.

Been a few year now. Been thinking about putting a fowler together myself. Couple projects ahead of that idea though!

I'm right handed, and interested in kmowing some good flintlock factory options as well as kits.

Back