• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock... hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had a quick question how many guys on here are actually deer hunting with a flintlock... I'm considering ordering a kit to try it but as much as I pulled to the right on hang fires I just don't know

I do, have since the mid '70s...Have never had a hang fire when hunting...Get into it to learn how our forefathers survived, remember, Daniel Boone died at 85, evidently he did fairly well hunting with one...

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I just had a quick question how many guys on here are actually deer hunting with a flintlock... I'm considering ordering a kit to try it but as much as I pulled to the right on hang fires I just don't know
Read the forum,,,
A lot of us "are actually deer hunting with a flintlock."
And many more do so that aren't on this forum.
Several of us even do so in period clothing with nothing but period gear,,,, but we are by no means a majority.

Just do it! The only way to fix your shooting mechanics and self doubt is to jump in and do it. Practice, practice, practice! The first step is the hardest. That is why we are all here... to help you through the rough spots!
Stop encouraging. There are only so many flints and only so much real black powder available.

😉

😆😆😆

Your consideration is your yearn to hunt with a flinter. Don't worry about pulling to the right. When I started shooting flint, they should have called me FlinchAlot!! I don't even know it Is there now. You can get used to the flash, provided YOU want to.
Larry

I sometimes carry a flint and sometimes a cap gun. All of my deer to date though have been with cap guns. Funny thing, every time I take a flintlock I don't see any deer. Never have had an opportunity yet but I am sure that will change. I am no flintlock master but experience is the best teacher I guess. I'll keep trying and I recommend you do the same if that is where your interests are. Good luck.

Get a reliable flint rifle , and start shooting. It ain't rocket science , it's 18th century science. Wood, lead , black powder , iron sights , leather stuff , and the ability to learn something new to you . Be brave , just do it. Join a club with a shooting range , you'll need to shoot. Practice X 3.........find a mentor

I'm a flintlock newbie, only shooting one for a few months.
During the late antlerless season here in Oklahoma, I plan to hunt with my flinter for the first time.
One thing I learned is that with a new sharp flint, my rifle goes off instantly, no hang fire at all.
You'll be alright, just remember to follow through with the shot.
Don't take your eye off the target.

I'm a flintlock newbie, only shooting one for a few months.
During the late antlerless season here in Oklahoma, I plan to hunt with my flinter for the first time.
One thing I learned is that with a new sharp flint, my rifle goes off instantly, no hang fire at all.
You'll be alright, just remember to follow through with the shot.
Don't take your eye off the target.
Good luck this late season

Get a reliable flint rifle , and start shooting. It ain't rocket science , it's 18th century science. Wood, lead , black powder , iron sights , leather stuff , and the ability to learn something new to you . Be brave , just do it. Join a club with a shooting range , you'll need to shoot. Practice X 3.........find a mentor
It would be extremely hard to find a mentor around here... These guys all of these high-powered rifles... I myself don't consider that hunting sitting over a power line shooting as far as I can see... Yes I've done it and taken many deer like that... But I didn't have the passion to keep doing it it felt too easy... But to each their own like I'm saying to be hard to find a mentor... I will be winging it by myself... mostly... asking you guys lots of questions I guess... But I've made up of work order for a canoe gun from setting Fox... I know a short barrel smoothbore is not what most people think when they think flintlock... But I want something that's good for 50 yards and in... I know you're mad at me

Been shooting flintlocks for several years. Get what you want and make it work. Waiting on my second smoothie. My other smoothie is a .54 smooth rifle and have taken deer, turkeys, hogs and squirrels. Read alot and try to learn all you can.

I had hang fires early on. Didn't use a cows knee, didn't change pan powder when I needed to, had a gap between pan and barrel...I basically had all the new guy errors. That was how I learned back in the 90s.
Get a flintlock with a good lock, mess with the flint to get good angle of strike and spark. Practice with it and you'll be dangerous in the field.

I've been hunting with a flintlock for a number of years. My worst blunder with a flintlock had nothing to do with flintlock technology...hahaha. While sitting in a pretty good blind, I set my flintlock rifle so that I had to reach for it....this while having coffee and cookies. An eight point walked right up to me and didn't "see" me because I froze. I got impatient and moved too soon reaching for my gun and.......poof.....gone in a flash.

Not really. There is a rumor of a new invention they call a precushion gun, but I'll believe it when I see one.
The rumors are true. However, despite some of the claimed benefits, one must futz around with these tiny little metal cups, smaller than a pea, every shot. They are too tiny for man size fingers to have good control of when placing one in the lock. I anticipate many being dropped in the leaf litter and grasses of game country by men who try these things. They might work well for women and children with more dainty fingers, maybe for some "men" with the same 🙄.
Also the flash channel for the fire from these "caps" is forced to make a 90° turn to reach the powder, instead of a straight shot (get it 😄) to the powder. This will make it difficult to get the full fire to the powder, and darn near impossible to pick when fouled.

Don't know, might catch on with some city folks and more dainty fingered individuals.

😉

Back