• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Flintlock Hatfield Rifle .50 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Flintlock Hatfield Rifle .50 Caliber. This rifle is in very nice shape and an excellent example of these Hatfield rifles. Beautifully figured high grade curly maple stock, 39" browned barrel, literature states these have 1:70 twist, weighs 7lbs 14oz on my scale. Excellent bore as pictured. I don't think it's actually been fired, the frizzen has been struck but the pan surface and touch hole look very clean to me. Shipping cost with insurance etc will be considerable and it will be thoroughly packaged.
I can provide more pictures if needed.
$1650.00 Shipped
IMG_20210614_185312.jpg
IMG_20210614_185357.jpg
IMG_20210614_185404.jpg
IMG_20210614_185326.jpg
IMG_20210614_185334.jpg
IMG_20210614_185719.jpg

This isn't a discussion board but just to clarify for anyone else, I'll mention, It's possible the barrel itself was made for Hatfield by pedersoli but there are no Italian proofs visible. This rifle was assembled in the US. This rifle's markings are also consistent with another example I handled recently which was purchased from Hatfield with a birdseye maple stock when they were in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine looking rifle ,I have a 50 cal Hatfield Flintlock USA Made looks just like yours and under the back of the barrel the pedersoli proof marks where filed off by the maker and left bright.

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. Why all the back and forth over the maker of the barrel? It's a fine example of the Hatfield rifle. Pedersoli makes great barrels. It's a good price. What's the issue?????

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. Why all the back and forth over the maker of the barrel? It's a fine example of the Hatfield rifle. Pedersoli makes great barrels. It's a good price. What's the issue?????
A Pendersoli bbl will have a twist of 1:48 not the speculated 1:70.Some buyers might not know exactly what they are buying.

Because an unsuspecting inexperienced buyer may think that because it has a historically American name, that it was an American made product, and that the price would be commensurate with a handmade custom rifle. A pretty piece of wood can be very convincing. For a Pedersoli, that price would be among their highest models, brand new from Dixie. We have all seen this brand go for half the asking price, and never more than 2/3rds, even with pretty wood.

Because an unsuspecting inexperienced buyer may think that because it has a historically American name, that it was an American made product, and that the price would be commensurate with a handmade custom rifle. A pretty piece of wood can be very convincing. For a Pedersoli, that price would be among their highest models, brand new from Dixie. We have all seen this brand go for half the asking price, and never more than 2/3rds, even with pretty wood.
This is ridiculous to post in someone's ad. If you don't want to buy it, move along. Thanks

Ok then, we are all adults here, why not have the OP check the rate of twist with a tight fitting patch on a ramrod? Would leave no doubt then. I still stand by my earlier assessment of it's a fine example of a Hatfield rifle, Pedersoli makes great barrels and it's a GOOD price.

Ok then, we are all adults here, why not have the OP check the rate of twist with a tight fitting patch on a ramrod? Would leave no doubt then. I still stand by my earlier assessment of it's a fine example of a Hatfield rifle, Pedersoli makes great barrels and it's a GOOD price.
Thank you. As I said in the ad, that's only what I read it was likely to be based on an old article I found. I encourage people to research things themselves before they buy. Sellers can't know everything. Everyone here understands this.

Some might find the history of Hatfield and how the rifle came about. This has nothing to do with this gun for sale. It's just history of hatfield that i found interesting and pretty surprised on how the gun came about. The last half of the article is about the shotguns. You can stop reading when that part starts if you only want to read about this rifle.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/19901001/5391.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back