• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock GPR Grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my .54 cal flintlock Great Plains Rifle out yesterday. I fired a few shots at 50 and 100 yards with 95gr of 3F Goex to make sure everything was good for deer/elk season.
Flintlock .54 GPR Grouse 003.JPG

After that I loaded a prb over 40gr of 3F Goex and went looking for grouse. I hiked up high and flushed a blue grouse but never had a chance for a shot. On the way down the mountain I was able to take my limit of spruce grouse.
Flintlock .54 GPR Grouse 029.JPG

Flintlock .54 GPR Grouse 036.JPG

By the time I got back to my vehicle the moon was just peeking over the tree tops. When I got home I made grouse fajitas. It was a great day!
Flintlock .54 GPR Grouse 061.JPG

I have a GPR 54 cal Flinter and havent shot any game with it but I sure have spanked a lot of steel with it. Put an L&R lock in mine. I like that gun alot.

I installed a L&R lock in mine also. The factory lock was pretty reliable though. The main thing I didn't like about the factory lock was that it wouldn't hold priming powder in the pan unless the gun stayed fairly level.

I also use RMC touch hole liners in mine. They are much better than the factory touch hole liner. I usually enlarged the hole in the factory liner which improved its performance. The screwdriver slot in them for removal/installation is horrible.

I installed a L&R lock in mine also. The factory lock was pretty reliable though. The main thing I didn't like about the factory lock was that it wouldn't hold priming powder in the pan unless the gun stayed fairly level.

I also use RMC touch hole liners in mine. They are much better than the factory touch hole liner. I usually enlarged the hole in the factory liner which improved its performance. The screwdriver slot in them for removal/installation is horrible.
I have done the same with mine. I have the RMC touch hole liner. My stock lock is brand new I never did use it. I also changed out the triggers for some Davis triggers.

The GPR is a rifled barrel? Did you fire shot out of it for the grouse? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm extremely new to this.

The GPR is a rifled barrel? Did you fire shot out of it for the grouse? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm extremely new to this.

Not a dumb question at all. Feel free to ask any questions.

It is a rifled barrel and I used a prb (patched round ball). I was using a .530" round ball with a .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with Trappers Pure Mink Oil over 40gr of 3F Goex.

Some places require you to use shot for birds so be sure to check your regulations.

Not a dumb question at all. Feel free to ask any questions.

It is a rifled barrel and I used a prb (patched round ball). I was using a .530" round ball with a .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with Trappers Pure Mink Oil over 40gr of 3F Goex.

Some places require you to use shot for birds so be sure to check your regulations.
Ah ok now I understand. Thanks! I might try that load in my GPR.

Ah ok now I understand. Thanks! I might try that load in my GPR.
Just as an fyi, two falls ago my girlfriend was hunting grouse with #7.5 shot in her rifled barrel .50, and was quite successful. Not so sure I would want to do this all the time, for fear of barrel leading, but that is the only reason. Her load was 50gr Pyro RS, .54 lubed wad, 50gr volume measure of shot and a .54 wad again.
Walk

Just as an fyi, two falls ago my girlfriend was hunting grouse with #7.5 shot in her rifled barrel .50, and was quite successful. Not so sure I would want to do this all the time, for fear of barrel leading, but that is the only reason. Her load was 50gr Pyro RS, .54 lubed wad, 50gr volume measure of shot and a .54 wad again.
Walk
Use a cleaning patch for a shot cup.

Back