• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Frizzen Spring Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do all owners of flintlocks have a mainspring vise for removing the frizzen spring and the mainspring? I am working on a Pedersoli Great Plains Rifle kit and would like to take the hammer and frizzen spring off of the lock plate in order to remove the coloring of the outside of the lock and refinish it with a french gray appearance. I am having trouble finding a mainspring vice and don't really know if I want to buy one since, being new to flintlocks, I don't really know if I will use it much, or ever at all, after this project. Is there a safe and reasonable alternative method/tool that can be used to remove and then replace the frizzen spring? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

open the frizzen, this compresses it. clamp it with vice grips just snug. return the frizzen to the closed position and the frizzen spring should be free unless it is held by a screw. some capture it from the inside others the screw goes from the spring into the plate from the outside.
be very carful not to over compress or to let the spring slip out of the vice grips. either causes bad things to happen.
i would urge you to go ahead and get a spring vise. the urge to tinker grows until you will be disassembling the entire lock.
a vise is cheaper than replacement springs.

With fingers crossed, I’ve used vise grips and been lucky. I only compress the spring enough to take off the tension making removal possible.

open the frizzen, this compresses it. clamp it with vice grips just snug. return the frizzen to the closed position and the frizzen spring should be free unless it is held by a screw.

But be sure to use a thin layer of leather between the vice grip face and the spring (to keep from scratching the spring and introducing a weak spot).

i have two spring vises. when i take the main spring out i leave it in the vise.
then i use a second for the frizzen spring. may be all wet, but i figure the less i have to compress or release the main spring the less chance of me breaking it.
don't ask how i know they will break. 😭

I use a screw driver. place the blade on the end of the spring, using the underside of the pan as the fulcrum, gently squeeze and take the pressure off the frizzen, remove the screw and frizzen. without any preload it comes right out. Its' Catskinning 101, good luck!!!!
Robby

I use the padded Vise grip for years and never had any trouble full disclosure I did get a vice from Muzzleloader 0pBuilders Supply recently and love it

Vice grips here, I don't think the vice grip critics who have never used one realize just how little pressure it takes to remove a spring. I adjust my leather padded vice grips to barely compress the spring, just enough to take the pressure off the frizzen screw, probably not much more than 1/8". If you are ham fisted perhaps you could break a spring but not with as light a pressure I put on one.

Vice grips here, I don't think the vice grip critics who have never used one realize just how little pressure it takes to remove a spring. I adjust my leather padded vice grips to barely compress the spring, just enough to take the pressure off the frizzen screw, probably not much more than 1/8". If you are ham fisted perhaps you could break a spring but not with as light a pressure I put on one.
I. Use vice grips on many jobs and never Gorilla my work but some people have no mechanical ability so they destroy simple things and gripe it was the neighbors fault !

Back