• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock First Firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a very productive discussion here about my lock not sparking enough and, long story short, I bought a new L&R lock for it and then waited for the weather to cool off. Also thanks to
McClura for sending me some proper flints when TOTW decided they were out of everything. I made it to the range Saturday and here is the result (in slow-motion):

And another view:

I was having a bit of difficulty with igniting the pan reliably but I was using 3F Goex. I have not been able to find any 4F for sale anywhere near me and I've put the word out among friends in the hopes of getting some.

I actually hit the target too!

If you lived near me I'd gladly give you some 4F, A pound lasts for years when you're only using 3 grains or so per shot.

Update: I contacted L&R about the ignition thing and showed him that video. His first thought was to turn the flint over and try it that way. I can try that in the back yard easily. But basically, the answer is to play around with the flint until it works.

There's a lot about this hobby that would just have been common knowledge to everyone back in, say, Lewis and Clark's day. But I have to learn them slowly by experience I guess.

I'm also starting to understand what I've read here about finding out what your gun "wants" and then letting that become your standard.

If you are standing to the side of a flintlock you will be peppered with something. I don't know if its sparks, powder, or bits of flint. I've never felt anything when I'm firing from the lock itself. Moreso I fire from the left a lot and that makes my face closer to the lock.
I do wear eye glasses which I consider sufficient protection. A pair of sunglasses isn't too much to ask in case an accident happens. Hell I would recommend doing so even for normal firearms. You never know.
My buddy was there operating the camera (i.e., my iPhone) and he said he felt something on his hand as it fired. Unlike me, he was wearing glasses.

So you guys hunt with glasses? Are flintlocks really that dangerous?
I don't hunt, but if I did I would wear eye protection. Ever ride a motorcycle? Some wear helmets and some don't. Some riders are lucky and some are not! Had two guys at work loose their eyes because of no safety glasses. A percussion spits metal fragments even with a cup. A flintlock has the potential of a flint fragmenting, and or the flash being thrown back in your face for any number of reasons. Lucky people get by without injury, but why gamble with your eyes?
Hope U wear them!
Larry

That “pepper” comes blasting out of the touchhole… don’t stand near the lock side of a Flinter, it will literally burn you!
The method I was taught follow-thru is
“Hold your sight picture until the arrow stops quivering” ;)

Good suggestions on keeping eyes protected and open. I used to grind my 3F in a wooden mortar and pestle for priming powder. Porcelein ones probably won't spark either but more expensive. Mexican mocajetes too rough in grain. Since I wear glasses all the time they are on even in hunting but since cataract surgery they ride low and only needed for reading. All my flint rifles are left hand since I am left handed and left eye dominant but been putting off building a right hand John Newcomer style rifle with right hand R. E. Davis Twigg flintlock. Have shot some of friends right hand flintlock rifles without much discomfort but wonder if it will be a problem in windy weather.

My shooting prescription glasses get retired about once a year. They get pits and dings in the lens from bits of flint. Flint chips hit the glasses hard enough the take a chip out of the lens. Such high velocity flint shards may imbed in your naked eye.

Latest posts

Back