• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock First Firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glw

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a very productive discussion here about my lock not sparking enough and, long story short, I bought a new L&R lock for it and then waited for the weather to cool off. Also thanks to
McClura for sending me some proper flints when TOTW decided they were out of everything. I made it to the range Saturday and here is the result (in slow-motion):

And another view:

I was having a bit of difficulty with igniting the pan reliably but I was using 3F Goex. I have not been able to find any 4F for sale anywhere near me and I've put the word out among friends in the hopes of getting some.

I actually hit the target too!

I'm still a rookie and still fighting the flinch! 😆
Glad to see you got it working.
Play with the amount of 3f in the pan before you give up on it. It should be plenty reliable.

Please, please, get some eye protection.
After over 20 years working on ranges, I will never understand people who shoot,,, or even observe on a range, doing so without eye protection.

"Flinching." Well, closing your eyes very briefly isn't the worst thing in the world as long as you aren't moving the gun when you do it. Even if you keep your eyes open, if you move the gun when it fires, accuracy will suffer.

Yes please - cover those eyes.
Friend of mine back in the 80's was right eye dominant.
Now he only has his left eye. The right is a glass cosmetic replacement.

Enjoy your new hobby - Develop a good solid follow through after the shot. Hold on target 2 - 5 seconds after the shot. The flinch will slowly go away.

LOL. I normaly use eye protection all the time for everything. My employer even provides it for us. I have no excuse for not having it Saturday. I guess I was excited about finally shooting the gun but I totally forgot. I just got back from putting a pair of safety glasses into my shooting box.

Last edited:

I was lucky and had a ton of ignition problems with my blunderbuss. I was striking something like 30 times with a flash in the pan but not firing. Kept repriming the pan and pulling the trigger trying to fire over and over (ended up the breech vent was plugged by something I couldn't see).

After so many times I just don't flinch at it anymore. Might want to dry fire the hammer a few times with a piece of wood, and maybe just flash the pan a few times as well. I shoot lefty and the lock is even closer to my face and I don't flinch at all now :)

You did not ask for a suggestion on flinching, but here is one anyway 😂 With the gun unloaded, just prime the pan. Fire the gun as you would at a critter or target. Practice on follow through while the pan displays the flash. While doing the exercise, think...........This little puff is all I am flinching about!
Welcome to the world of flintlocks!
Larry

Glad to see you got it working.
Play with the amount of 3f in the pan before you give up on it. It should be plenty reliable.

Please, please, get some eye protection.
After over 20 years working on ranges, I will never understand people who shoot,,, or even observe on a range, doing so without eye protection.

"Flinching." Well, closing your eyes very briefly isn't the worst thing in the world as long as you aren't moving the gun when you do it. Even if you keep your eyes open, if you move the gun when it fires, accuracy will suffer.
Shooting the M14 with a gas mask on pretty much meant you weren't hitting any pop-down targets!

No, they are not that dangerous, but with the sparks and especially with a flash guard directing the flame up and back, safety glasses are a reasonable safety measure.

Maybe at the range, but if that's considered reasonable in the field flintlocks may not be right for me. Good to know though.

Maybe at the range, but if that's considered reasonable in the field flintlocks may not be right for me. Good to know though.

If you are standing to the side of a flintlock you will be peppered with something. I don't know if its sparks, powder, or bits of flint. I've never felt anything when I'm firing from the lock itself. Moreso I fire from the left a lot and that makes my face closer to the lock.
I do wear eye glasses which I consider sufficient protection. A pair of sunglasses isn't too much to ask in case an accident happens. Hell I would recommend doing so even for normal firearms. You never know.

Back