• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock fever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Iam wanting a flintlock but not just any. I will build it just need barrel channel done. Trouble is I want a turkey barrel and the only one I know of is by Colerain. I'm not interested in a jug choke. Why doesn't other barrel makers do turkey barrels Or am I missing something. Ok off to try and research for one.

Choke was really a breechloading thing, so traditional flintlock style Fowling gun would not have it. Going to the trouble of making a traditional arm most probably don’t want a choke.
Track offers a rifled barrel for fusil styles. Also incorrect but some folks must be buying it. As some would a chocked barrel.
But my sense would be that colerain could pretty much ‘Conor the market’
When made only the owner could tell it was choked of corse so it’s still going to be ‘correct’

Iam wanting a flintlock but not just any. I will build it just need barrel channel done. Trouble is I want a turkey barrel and the only one I know of is by Colerain. I'm not interested in a jug choke. Why doesn't other barrel makers do turkey barrels Or am I missing something. Ok off to try and research for one.
Get a hold of Bobby Hoyt. I have seen him make something similar to this and with removable chokes if I'm not mistaken.

I think there are options other than Colerain if you need a larger smoothbore. FCI in Kentucky makes a couple different types of smoothbores, for example. But maybe I'm not sure what you mean by a turkey barrel?

Why not a jug choke?
Jug choke to full and use a Skychief load,,, then call them in closer than your furthest good pattern.

A jug choke will allow normal cards and wads. A constriction choke, especially full or extra-full, makes getting cards and wads past the constriction without tipping or damage very difficult.

Is this a private conversation. I still haven't figured this site out. In assuming this is a PM if so ket me know and I will tell you why I ruled it out.

Boomestick,
Colerain makes what they call a TURKEY barrel. Well they did. Only straight barrels for the indefinite future. I got thatthe owner. owner.

Latest posts

Back