• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Bug Bites Again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after getting my first flintlock a couple of months ago (Pedersoli Frontier) and shooting BP for 30+ years, I made a trip to Pecatonica yesterday and shouldered several of their stocks. I decided to pick out my Winter project. Besides putting a TC Cherokee together from a kit back in the '80's, I have never attempted a build. So with the help of a book named "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" I'm going to attempt their Virginia rifle. 45 caliber GM 42" swamped barrel with a Chambers Large Siler Flintlock and Davis double set trigger. It has a very pretty #4 curry maple stock. Ought to be a good winter project after the hunting seasons are pretty much over with! Greg. :)

I wish you the best on it! I'm finishing up my first build now, a Tip Curtis Lancaster kit. I've been lazy about posting updates on here, but I'll try to get out some pics this weekend. Take your time and enjoy it, I hate to see my project come to an end... :(

As long as a person has time, money, and the ambition there can always be your "next" project! :) I'm already thinking of my next one!!! Greg. :)

Pecatonica has a reputation for inletting their barrels shallow and short. In a straight contour this isn't a big deal. Just gouge it in more. But in a swamped barrel this can cause some real problems, particularly if the lock has already been partially inletted for you.

In a normal build, the order is barrel, tang, lock, trigger, butt.

In a lock-inletted pre-carve, the order is lock, barrel, tang, trigger, butt.

I would also recommend buying "The Gunsmith of Genville County" and Recreating the American Longrifle.
The book you already have and these other two complement each other quite well. The Gunsmith of Grenville County is probably the most complete and best reference, IMO.

Agreed! My next project is in-process at Dunlap. I ordered a nice grade 6 Lancaster:)

If its not too late, ask Dick at Pecatonica to NOT pre-inlet the lock or trigger - you can do that yourself.
Custom asks like this do not upset them at all.
Do your own lock and trigger inlets - not that hard, more winter fun, and save you some potential headaches.
/mike

They wasn't going to inlet the lock and trigger until they got back from Friendship. What problems will I be saving by doing it myself? Greg

the lock needs to be located so that the center of the pan lets the rear most edge of the flash hole liner just barely butt up against the barrel plug. If they are inletting the barrel, since it's swamped, you really can't move it fore and aft. Only deeper. The flash hole should be centered in the middle of the barrel flat.

What kind of a trigger are you planning on putting in? If it's a simple pinned trigger those are more sensitive to 1/8" of errant placement (the further away from the pivot point the trigger touches the sear, the harder the trigger pull will be) than set triggers that just slap the sear bar under spring tension.

Also, tell them NOT to stake the plug in to place. They did that on a percussion Vincent build of mine, and I couldn't get the plug off while I was installing the drum. As a result, I wound up drilling in to it when tapping and installing the drum.

I think you are getting in way over your head and are starting on a dangerous path.

I feel it's my duty to relieve you of such a burden and save you from an addiction that could cause you great mental anguish in the future.

Therefore, if you PM me I will provide you my address, and when you receive the parts and pieces you have noted you can "immediately, without delay" send them on to me and I will dispose of them for you. :rotf:

Critter Getter said:
What problems will I be saving by doing it myself? Greg

Greg - the geometry of barrel/ breech plug face/vent is simple, yet easy to mess up, particularly if two of you (Pecatonica and you) are in involved in the equation. If YOU have complete control over locating the lock after seating the barrel, things are much simpler, IMHO.

Plus, despite all their good intent and efforts, machine inlets are subject to slop;...... slop that you may have to correct.
It is so much more fulfilling and foolproof (if you take reasonable care and forethought) for you to do your own inlets.

Just my 2 cents.

I've built a half-dozen rifles with Pecatonica pre-carves, with only the barrel channel and ramrod hole done by them. I maintain its a good place to start learning to build.

And after a few pre-carves, you will eventually see the beauty of going to blanks as a starting point;..... while it initially seems more daunting and/or harder to start with a blank, I think most will agree that its actually easier, at the end of the day, once you have a grasp of the fundamentals.
(.... And a band-saw...... :grin: )
/mike

Col. The trigger is a Davis set trigger. The barrel has already been inlet but I'm sure that there could be some tweaking that will need to be done there. I have to admit that taking a grand worth if parts and a very nice piece of wood in hand and attempting to do my first build is just a little nerve racking to me but I'm confident that I can do this and be pleased with the results. I have quite a few months to read all that I can before the snow flies and I start on it! Greg. :)

Thanks Mike, I will give that some serious consideration!! I would like to do the lock and trigger inlet myself but have to admit that this whole process makes me just a bit nervous as it is but I'm sure I can do this and be pleased with my effort and outcome! Greg. :)

Back