• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jager43478

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Marty Forgione shot the opening day of the archery , flintlock season in Pa. He built the gun he used. It was a take off of a JP Beck rifle.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 336
Excellent. I've never hunted bear, but given that I recently retired, I purchased my PA bear tag and would have loved to have gotten a shot. I did harvest a doe on the opener, but didn't see any bear. Might get out another time or two. Congratulations to Marty on a job well done.

Excellent. I've never hunted bear, but given that I recently retired, I purchased my PA bear tag and would have loved to have gotten a shot. I did harvest a doe on the opener, but didn't see any bear. Might get out another time or two. Congratulations to Marty on a job well done.
He had a shot at a 400 pounder, however he had a hang fire. They took 3 bear, one guy saw a total of 10 bear that day.

Wow. I took my doe into the butcher shop (wasn't feeling it myself) and they claimed to have had more bear come in than deer. I think they may have been slightly exaggerating, but the harvest was obviously good. I live in a decent area for bear and know their habits reasonably well, but it's still a fairly low percentage thing unless you're hunting over a hard-hit corn field or something.

I forgot to mention it to the butcher, whose a friend, but I'll call back and ask him to gather me a 5 gallon bucket of bear fat to make bear gun oil from.

Congrats. I've never even seen a bear in the wild. We do have them here but none have tried to commit suicide in front of me. My hope (past tense) to harvest one. But my hunting days are over. I'll have to enjoy others success vicariously.

Wow. I took my doe into the butcher shop (wasn't feeling it myself) and they claimed to have had more bear come in than deer. I think they may have been slightly exaggerating, but the harvest was obviously good. I live in a decent area for bear and know their habits reasonably well, but it's still a fairly low percentage thing unless you're hunting over a hard-hit corn field or something.

I forgot to mention it to the butcher, whose a friend, but I'll call back and ask him to gather me a 5 gallon bucket of bear fat to make bear gun oil from.
took my ML doe to butcher yesterday. there was a 500lb bear in the cooler. i was totally amazed with its size when looking at it so close.

Only took one bear with a flint, was a .50 GPR. Took it at 12 yds ground level and made a poor shot. Had to track through thick stuff on the edge of a river bank. All of a sudden I heard it up ahead and figured he was gonna head over the bank, so I ran up quick and looked over. Nothing. I looked and looked down that bank. Still nothing. Then he walks up and looks over the bank about 5 feet from me. Yup, I was startled to say the least! I brought that flint to bear (literally) from the him and shot him through the chest. And of course he proceeded down that bank and died at the bottom. Made me carry him up to the top, which left me seriously wondering who exactly got the better deal!!
Walk

i took my ML doe to the butcher. there was a 500 lb bear there. amazing seeing 1 that big close up. huge and beautiful animals.

Back