• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Addiction, is there any hope?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 15 years of shooting caplocks, I have been thoroughly enjoying my Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle, I cant believe it has taken me this long to get my first flintlock. I've got close to a hundred balls through her now and every time I take her out I struggle to find the willpower to put her up again. There is something soothing in sound and feel of the lock and the smell of the black powder smoke that I just cant get enough of. Flintlocks are a powerful drug and i'm affraid i've become an addict.

PSX_20210308_120014.jpg
PSX_20210308_120014.jpg
PSX_20210308_120014.jpg

After 15 years of shooting caplocks, I have been thoroughly enjoying my Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle, I cant believe it has taken me this long to get my first flintlock. I've got close to a hundred balls through her now and every time I take her out I struggle to find the willpower to put her up again. There is something soothing in sound and feel of the lock and the smell of the black powder smoke that I just cant get enough of. Flintlocks are a powerful drug and i'm affraid i've become an addict.

View attachment 67913View attachment 67913View attachment 67913
I am interested in getting a Ped Penn. Can you attest to it's quickness to fire and it's accuracy?

You want to hook a kid on muzzle loading? Let him take a shot with a flint at a range or Rondy. I understand that the cap lock people are trying to get a law passed to prevent that first shot.

Crow-feather,
The lock geometry is rather bad, I have to shim up the back of the flint with a toothpick to get a good impact angle. I also had to reshape and polish the frizzen foot to get it to open smoothly withe less than 3lbs of force.

That aside, her lock time is plenty fast once you work out how much priming she likes. She is far more accurate than I am. Off the bench at 25yds she will shoot a ragged hole, offhand for me i get a 3" group at the same distance. Ive had good luck hitting soda cans offhand from 50yds though so i must be doing something right......

I would say she's a fine rifle but she's my only flinter so i dont have alot to compare her with.

Chris
20210228_085631-1.jpg
20210228_085957.jpg
20210228_211004.jpg
20210228_085631-1.jpg20210228_085957.jpg20210228_211004.jpg

You have crossed the Event Horizon and will be stretched thinner and thinner as you spin in circles around the singularity, until, hopefully many years from now, and oh so very close to the center of the black hole, you will suddenly hear a loud flushing sound.....and with any luck you’ll pop out the other side in some place, far from here, that has weapons that must be loaded from the muzzle, where you can again cross the Event Horizon, stretched thinner and.......

You have crossed the Event Horizon and will be stretched thinner and thinner as you spin in circles around the singularity, until, hopefully many years from now, and oh so very close to the center of the black hole, you will suddenly hear a loud flushing sound.....and with any luck you’ll pop out the other side in some place, far from here, that has weapons that must be loaded from the muzzle, where you can again cross the Event Horizon, stretched thinner and.......
Spaghettification...

I offer you hope and great news...
Flinters, and the need for just one more, will keep you so poor you will hardly be able to afford to have other vices.
The bad news is that some of the new friends you have will only be enablers in getting you into new gear and may even offer you a nip of the fine Irish...
Never mind, you are doomed.

A Hank Williams song comes to mind, "Lost Highway." Because that's what you've gone down, flint lock's lost highway. Nice to know you'll find many friends all along the road.

Back