• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock .58 for big Black Bears

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for info/reassurance for a black bear hunt I have booked in New Brunswick, Canada. This question is directed to anyone who may have possibly hunted large northern black bears with ml. I booked the hunt with an outfitter that is known for producing huge bears. Had to book two years out to get in with him. I'd have no issue with using my .58 south of the border where a 300lb bear is a biggen but this guy routinely produces bears in the 500-550+ range. The friend I'm traveling with says 50yds is a long shot up there but it takes a lot juice lot stop one of these critters. Am I less than sane considering my .58 for the trip? No back ups allowed in Canada.

I would not hesitate with a .58 practice out too 50-75 yards you will be fine, also if you hunted bears in the past you will understand this, study the bears build for shot placement, A tip--I use full life size targets of the animal (archery targets) I am going to hunt the ones with the vital zones marked on them prior to going hunting. I have hunted bears in Ontario (unmentionable rifle) they are a fascinating animal, good luck and post pics.

I live, born and raised, in the Canadian Western provinces. The land of many giants. A .58 is bigger than anything I’ve ever used to take anything, let alone a black bear. I find blackies give up the ghost very, very easy in fact. You have nothing to fret over. Just remember that a bears body is 4” under their hair!
Walk

I've taken two nice sized black bears with .50cal conical bullets so a .58cal round ball should be no worries. Like pwbsmokey said, be familiar with bears anatomy and when practicing, visualize yourself in a hunting scenario. Have fun and good luck!

How are you getting your powder there. Last years hunt, CA Customs checked the RV and confiscated all the BP from our American group. The rifles and such are legal there but 1 pound can of powder was determined not to be. Check this out carefully first.

Each year in the catskills, a bear or two would turn up harvested during early archery season weighing between 500-600 pounds when I lived out there. I know this as fact. And that's with a bow.

.58 will serve you well. A .54 would serve you well. You can use a conical if you want to transport maximum energy downrange. Just keep in mind that a black bears vitals sit further rearward than a deer. You want to be well behind the shoulder.

How are you getting your powder there. Last years hunt, CA Customs checked the RV and confiscated all the BP from our American group. The rifles and such are legal there but 1 pound can of powder was determined not to be. Check this out carefully first.
Yes thanks for the info. That was an issue I was going to look into.

IF you can order online and pay the hazmat fee, just have it shipped to your guide, or have him go through whatever means Canadians must do to obtain it in their country. It will save you the hurdles while traveling.

Maybe check powder valley or one of the other suppliers and see if they can ship a pound to a Canadian address. It's worth a try.

Sigh... just tell your outfitter what powder you want and what granulation. He will grab it and have on hand. Goex seems the easiest to locate, here in the West anyhow.
Walk

How are you going to get across border with COVID-19 shutdown? What a crock them taking someone’s powder. What authority did they give for that?

Back