• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint size ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I see a flint for sale and it reads 5/8" x 3/4" my way of thinking is, 5/8 wide X 3/4 length. Is this a correct assumption or what is industry standards ?, can they be any thing the seller wants them to be. The reason I ask is it seems lately that flints I have ordered have some very sketchy measurements from advertised. I realize things are tight but when I order 5/8 x 3/4 I do not like getting 1/2 x 1/2. I always try to buy locally so I can visually see what I am getting but locally is getting tough for good flints.

No flint is the same size as the next. Being hand made mostly, you will never get uniform size. That said, if you order a certain size, it should be close.

I had an issue with Track of the Wolf once when I ordered several 3/4 X 7/8 flints for my large Siler locks. 2 or 3 in the pack were definitely not what I ordered. They were more like 5/8x3/4. I returned them and got my money back. One reason I sent them back, other than not being able to use them, was that maybe they would tell their order pickers to be more diligent when they pick flints for customers.

It could've been a case where the wrong flints were in the wrong bin, or the wrong size was mixed in by someone not knowledgeable or caring enough to see the mistake.

That's the only downside to buying flints online. It becomes a manure shoot as to what you get. Sometimes you get nice ones, other times you get skipping stones.

I have noticed that when I order more than a couple of flints the package will have some that are definitely much smaller (NEVER larger) than what I ordered. Luckily, I have guns for which the smaller sizes are appropriate.

I have noticed that when I order more than a couple of flints the package will have some that are definitely much smaller (NEVER larger) than what I ordered. Luckily, I have guns for which the smaller sizes are appropriate.
The thing I most dislike about purchased flint is the hump backs because most are struck from blades which all have a back spine which is the hump in the finished gun flint you receive. I make my own from flakes which are much flatter than blade made gun flints.

The thing I most dislike about purchased flint is the hump backs because most are struck from blades which all have a back spine which is the hump in the finished gun flint you receive. I make my own from flakes which are much flatter than blade made gun flints.
Same here. I hate it when I get those. That's why I wish I could see every flint I order. I most always get one that isn't flat enough to mount in the cock jaws properly.

Latest posts

Back