• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint re-knapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would brass work OK instead of copper? I have a bunch of brass welding rods and some of them are fairly thick. I don't have any copper other than some scrap 1" pipe, but I could cut that and pound or bend it to get a flat edge that may work for knapping my old flint pieces.

Would brass work OK instead of copper? I have a bunch of brass welding rods and some of them are fairly thick. I don't have any copper other than some scrap 1" pipe, but I could cut that and pound or bend it to get a flat edge that may work for knapping my old flint pieces.

Brass is fine. When touching up the flint while it's in the gun and there's a load in the barrel, you want to use something that won't spark. Brass, copper, and antler all work. If you're touching up old flints not mounted in a lock, you can use anything, even hardened steel tools, so long as you don't have an open can of powder inexplicably situated at your feet at the time. 😄

edit: I will add that copper is discussed so much because it's the standard for most modern knappers, as it's hard enough not to brake or severely deform in use but soft enough to "catch" on the edge of whatever piece of rock you're working on, which helps get good flakes. Antler was used in the distant past for the same reason and is still useful today. Brass is usually considered too hard for serious knapping, but it will work fine for chipping off some small flakes from a small and an already nearly sharp edge like a dull gun flint. :thumb:

Last edited:
I used to sell these knapping kits many years ago and in my experience, they produce the best edge on a flint without stressing the flint or the hammer/sear. A couple of taps on the edge of the flint with the small lip takes tiny flakes off the bottom, resulting in a very sharp edge. Same principle as described by Flintsteel in his earlier post. I believe the lip on my knapping tool was 0.015"

Been using this same tool for at least 30 years with no wear on it.
Flint knapping tool.jpg

I like a rod or notched nail but as stated above it won’t take you back to a sharp edge but it will give you another series of shots. I knap in the jaws a few times and then swap flints.

I've used my knife on occasion and still do when in a hurry. But my standard is the little copper knapping hammer I cobbled up years ago with a screwdriver blade as the handle.

Years ago I made a small flint knapper that works like a charm. Sharpening while shooting I just Leave the flint in the jaws, place on half cock, and be sure the gun is unloaded. Just a few quick, light taps across the face of the flint renews it to as good or usually better than new. Very controllable knapping—no broken flints. I harden the steel and don’t anneal it.

Click pictures to enlarge.View attachment 58413View attachment 58412View attachment 58412
Do you sell them? Never seen such a knapping tool before. It'd sure beat carrying my little brass hammer in my flinter's "toolkit".

I used to sell these knapping kits many years ago and in my experience, they produce the best edge on a flint without stressing the flint or the hammer/sear. A couple of taps on the edge of the flint with the small lip takes tiny flakes off the bottom, resulting in a very sharp edge. Same principle as described by Flintsteel in his earlier post. I believe the lip on my knapping tool was 0.015"

Flint knapping tool.jpg
I guess you don't sell them any more. I'd have bought one.

View attachment 58557

Ive found this the best system as well.

Years ago I made a small flint knapper that works like a charm. Sharpening while shooting I just Leave the flint in the jaws, place on half cock, and be sure the gun is unloaded. Just a few quick, light taps across the face of the flint renews it to as good or usually better than new. Very controllable knapping—no broken flints. I harden the steel and don’t anneal it.

Click pictures to enlarge.View attachment 58413View attachment 58412View attachment 58412
Do you offer these for sale? If so, where do I go to order?

Thanks!

I've used the back of my knife blade as well, but I saw firsthand a guy next to me using his knife blade at a match and the rifle went BOOM!
Thankfully the line was hot and no one was down range. He swore the pan was empty and he had no reason to lie.

Now I put a bandana or strip of cloth over the pan before knapping the flint.

Word to the Wise!

Do you sell them? Never seen such a knapping tool before. It'd sure beat carrying my little brass hammer in my flinter's "toolkit".
Let me look through my parts and see if I still have any pieces left to make up a kit. I had these machined for me many years ago from hardened steel rod to prevent wear. I'll let you know if I find any.

Do you offer these for sale? If so, where do I go to order?

Thanks!
I found 5 sets of brass hammer heads and I have some tool steel I can use to make a few more of these sets. I will have to fabricate them and when I am finished I will post a note. 20 years ago I was selling for $15 plus shipping, but parts costs have gone up so I am asking $25 and this will include FedEx shipping anywhere in the 50 US states. Picture shows the set I have been using for @30 years.
Flint kanpping set.jpg

I found 5 sets of brass hammer heads and I have some tool steel I can use to make a few more of these sets. I will have to fabricate them and when I am finished I will post a note. 20 years ago I was selling for $15 plus shipping, but parts costs have gone up so I am asking $25 and this will include FedEx shipping anywhere in the 50 US states. Picture shows the set I have been using for @30 years.
View attachment 58879
Super! I will take a set once you get them done. Let me know when it's done and we'll do the deal.

Thanks, Michael

Tom A Hawk, a member on here makes a pressure flaking tool & has them for sale here often on the for sale section. I bought one a short time ago. A great tool. I also have a knapping tool that is used with a small hammer with flint in the lock. I prefer the pressure flaker.

Super! I will take a set once you get them done. Let me know when it's done and we'll do the deal.

Thanks, Michael
Have cut out enough rod to make 4 sets of tools. Going to get them machined this weekend and hope to have a few sets available next week. Will post a note as soon as they are ready.
Gary

Latest posts

Back