• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint raw stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spied this landscaping at a local restaurant, and it got me to thinking.... do any of these rocks look like what is needed to knap into flints for a flintlock rifle or pistol? I’m in an area (NE OK) that is loaded with limestone and some sandstone, so this isn’t from around here. I’ve seen this kind of rock (stone?) closer to Arkansas and Missouri, but I’m not a rock hound so it’s a mystery to me.

Attachments

• 0A594BDA-0F83-4201-93E6-E4A80974E012.jpeg
    0A594BDA-0F83-4201-93E6-E4A80974E012.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 104
I agree with Thomas about it not looking like flint or chert. Given your location you may not be too far from the southern edge of the Flint Hills. They extend from northeast kansas to just into northeast Oklahoma.

I see several pieces that might have promise, one on the right side above center and about a foot in from the side of the picture. If they are river cobbles you have to break a few open to see if there is anything good inside.

I don't know what you have there. My guess is you won't find good flint material in that rock pile. Interestingly, the best made arrow heads, spear points, etc. were found in regions where flint is not available. Reason is native tribes would travel great distances to trade flint for furs or whatever. The buyer of the flint developed good skills and took great care for knapping their prized flint rocks.

, but I’m not a rock hound so it’s a mystery to me.
It's always interesting to look isn't it?
But you can rest assured that the likelihood of flint/chert being found in washed landscape rock is fairly low.
Folks that provide that kind of processed stuff ARE Rock-hounds and if deposits of flint/chert are found where they process,, that the deposit would be specifically mined for the stuff, the value of flint is known in the business,, they'd simply market the good stuff elsewhere.

Knappable stone can be broken in any direction, that is it hasn’t a grain. Glass is a good example of this quality, a large lump will break in a predictable manner depending on how it’s hit. Many types of rock will do this and the ones with a finer grain structure produce the sharpest edge. Obsidian gives the finest edge but isn’t tough enough for gun flints. Look for a clean break that will break again at 90 degree from that.

I do the same thing .. I always look at the rock piles at the stores. I have found a few nice flint chunks at Menards that came home with me to play with. I need a T-shirt that says "Got Flint ??"
Ohio Rusty ><>

I have come to understand that the best flint rocks is the one you dig out from the ground and preferably in pebbles of some size. Then it is just to start hitting with a ball hammer before you continue with the crown of an antler. Then you start over again be-course you did not get it right the first time..
Yes, and you got to enjoy the pain when whacking the pebbles. Perhaps there is some flint nappers here who can chime in with their wisdom?

I have come to understand that the best flint rocks is the one you dig out from the ground and preferably in pebbles of some size. Then it is just to start hitting with a ball hammer before you continue with the crown of an antler. Then you start over again be-course you did not get it right the first time..
Yes, and you got to enjoy the pain when whacking the pebbles. Perhaps there is some flint nappers here who can chime in with their wisdom?
wear kevlar gloves! or just get so old you have no feeling in your hands besides arthritis and don't notice when you strike a knuckle!😭
another way to understand good quality flint is that it has the characteristics of glass. tough but without the brittleness of glass. Obsidian is a good example of brittle glass.
good glass for our purposes doesn't shatter into splinters but in a controllable long thin shard.
achieving those long thin shards is what makes a good Knapper good! anyone can smack a rock and break it into pieces.
controlling the impact force is the ticket.

Thanks for your input, I certainly appreciate everyone’s knowledge and help. I’ll take a closer look at the pile of rocks, and should I find any to try breaking open I’ll go to the far side of the truck, away from the store windows and prying eyes😁

Regarding the Flint Hills in south Kansas- I drove through there a few years ago at the suggestion of a co-worker while heading to Winfield, KS. It was a very nice drive and much more scenic than anticipated. I wasn’t on a quest for flint then, but next time I’ll be stopping and looking for suitable rocks along the way.

Last edited:
Back