• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flint placement question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does not need to contact the screw unless you need that extra space to properly position the flint in the jaw. If that extra length is needed a cut-out in the leather pad will accommodate it.

This is another of those 'whatever works' issues. The answer will depend on the size of the flint. As said, just a hair off the frizzen at half-cock is usually the best. Whether it touches the screw will depend on the flint size. If the flint is too long cutting a slot out of your leather often moves the rock back far enough. The only reason flintlocks exist is to make ye crazy. Play with it until ye figure out wat works best for ye.

This is another of those 'whatever works' issues. The answer will depend on the size of the flint. As said, just a hair off the frizzen at half-cock is usually the best. Whether it touches the screw will depend on the flint size. If the flint is too long cutting a slot out of your leather often moves the rock back far enough. The only reason flintlocks exist is to make ye crazy. Play with it until ye figure out wat works best for ye.
I understand. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't damage anything if the flint leather sits against the jaw screw and it's shot.

Thank you

DITTO to The Appalachian:

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
I get as much use as I can out of each flint. A new flint may sit back far enough that I have to cut a notch in the leather to clear the jaw screw but as it gets used up I move it forward till there's not enough flint left for the jaws to hold securely. So in practice the flint is out of contact with the jaw screw for most of it's life.

As the flint gets short I check to make sure it's still tight in the jaws after each shot.

Back