• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flint or percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary peacemaker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my parts together for a po boy .
I have a blank stock in walnut a rice round bottom riffling in 32 cal.i have the correct trigger guard and breach plug.i plan to put in a grease hole and use a antler piece on the top of the stock at the butt, no butt plate.just simple no frills .my question is should I go flint or percussion, I love my flints but I really like percussion?

Can't go wrong with a poor boy in flint. Besides, do you really want to fiddle around with those caps?
I'm partial to flints, but do what you like...even if it is terriblessed ; )

I am in the process of getting my parts together for a po boy .
I have a blank stock in walnut a rice round bottom riffling in 32 cal.i have the correct trigger guard and breach plug.i plan to put in a grease hole and use a antler piece on the top of the stock at the butt, no butt plate.just simple no frills .my question is should I go flint or percussion, I love my flints but I really like percussion?

Both at the same time
Build it so you can convert it. Buy a lock that has a twin in flint and percussion. then build it with the percussion lock first. Then to convert it all you have to do is remove the drum and screw in the touch hole liner , screw on the flint lock and bobsyeuncle two guns for the price of one.
OU
tom

If the barrel is swamped, make it a flintlock. If the barrel is straight, then make it for a percussion lock.

You will find that you will be using one system of ignition much more than the other. I have a convertible SMR and it seems the flint lock is installed most of the time.

I have two rifles that are convertible one is a .50 Leonard Day swivel and the other is a .32 long rifle made bye Dixie. I also find that in the end it is the flint that wins out, but is nice to be able to change if I want to.

There is a shortage on percussion caps now that there is an ammo panic for the unmentionables. Companies are switching from caps to make more unmentionable unmentionables.

I sold my only percussion rifle, good riddance to it as well. Flint is totally superior and far more fun and satisfying to shoot. And there is no big supply bottleneck like what happens with the cap guns, he’ll a guy can Knapp his own flints from the rocks Jesus Christ and our Lord has given us.

Great idea I do have a flint and percussion lock that interchange .I was not aware of a cap problem. I still have a bunch of them. Time to machine my cap making tool.thanks for all the thoughts from everyone.flint it will be.gary

Back