• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint lock identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krankieone

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a Fowler with a 34" octagon to round barrel in 16 gauge only writing or marks I can find are "Kilpatrick" on the lock spent about 4 hours on Google and drew a blank any information on the gun or its maker would be appreciated.
When I work out how I will post a photo

The book, "AMERICAN FIREARMS MAKERS" by A. Merwyn Carey, © 1953, Thomas Y. Crowell Company: New York, shows on page 65,

"Kilpatrick, David about 1860. Made heavy caliber percussion rfles at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania."

"AMERICAN GUN MAKERS" by L.D. Satterlee and Major Arcadi Gluckman, © 1940, OTTO ULBRICH CO, Inc., BUFFALO, N.Y., on page 85 says.

"KILPATRICK, D, - Philadelphia, Pa. Silver-mounted, short, percussion Buffalo rifle."

thanks I hadn't thought American I assumed it would be Irish or Scots if not built here but there was a lot of migration from the America to Australia in the 1850's /60's during the gold rush so it might have arrived by that route.

Hi,
You need to look for proof marks on the barrel. The gun looks English but the name on the lock may have nothing to do with the maker. It may be the exporter or importer.

dave

Mate if it is American, you are likely right, good quality waterproof lock, does she look like a shooter?

cheers

Heelerau

From Morphy Auctions back in October 2012, went for $USD 500

Overall length: 55 ”“ ½”. Barrel length: 39 ”“ ¾”. Single barrel percussion shotgun with round .70 caliber smooth barrel marked “D. Kilpatrick” for the gunsmith David Kilpatrick. Silver thumbpiece inlay marked with the owners name “Wm. Craig”. Nicely engraved silver furniture and cap box (also marked “D. Kilpatrick”). Checkered wrist. David Kilpatrick is recognized for his extremely high quality plain rifles, only a very few of his guns have survived. Rare specimen by “Plains” gun supplier. Oil finished stock. All German silver mounts polished. All crisp markings and engravings. Very good condition.

Back