• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be examples of time periods and people that would have used flint knives? Is there anything to know about using one now for skinning a deer (other than to limit lateral pressure)? How do you know if one for sale is a "user" or a "looker"? Thanks

Archaeologist, here.

Flint and stone tools have been around for the better part 1.8 million years until the advent of metal smelting technologies around 8000 years ago. North American Indians used stone tools until white folks started showing up in the mid-1500s, and even then used them until metal tools were widely available and traded through the 1600s, and even then stone tools weren't done away with. For example, I worked a site in North Mississippi where we found a French trade bead (1700s) alongside plenty of stone flakes and a handful of arrowheads.

If you want to see some nifty stone tools look up anything from the Mississippian era. There's an awesome coffee table book called Hero, Hawk, and Open Hand that showcase some of the master craftsmanship of that era.

As far as skinning is concerned, we find a pile of stone implents used. Everything from big bifaces "knife blades" to smaller, scalpel-like blades a couple inches long. It's one of those use-what-you-got-when-you-need-it situations.

Not sure if that answered your question.

TLDR. Stone tools have been used a lot. Basically every culture at some point in time had them. Pick a date range and an indigenous people then look at their stone artifacts.

Best of luck,
RM

All over europe they have found ‘hand axes’. Pear shaped flint tools. We don’t know how they were used.
However there is also tons of flakes about the size of a gun flint.
So a couple of old boys decided to see how many flakes you could get off a hunk of flint. Low and behold when the flint they were working got too small to knock flakes off of they had hand axe shapes. Seems Ally Opp and Fred Flintstone wanted flakes. And hand axes may have been trash.
A small flake pinched between thump and middle finger and guided by the index finger skins a Buffalo with four guys in less then an hour.
I was one of the four and had never done anything like that before so I bet it would have got quicker with practice

I took apart 4 pronghorns with a couple of obsidian flakes one-time just to see what it was about.

It was no handicap. In fact it seemed rather efficient, and easy.

Latest posts

Back