• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint for Traditions flintlock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Working on my Traditions Kentucky rifle build , and while it will be awhile before it's ready to shoot, I'd like to get some flints in hand now for when that day comes. It's my first flintlock so I have no idea what will work best with the rifle. From my research a hand knapped 5/8"x 5/8" English flint is correct. Are all flint created equal or is there a brand/ supplier to go with or avoid ? I checked TOW and they appear to be out of stock on a lot of sizes and are limiting order size. I guess once caps dried up people started hoarding flints. Any advice or input ? -Thanks

5/8 x 5/8 are correct. English black or French amber both work. I’ve never had any luck with cut agate flints. Check October Country and Dixie if TOW are sold out. Both of those had flints in stock last time I checked.

I would also recommend Heritage Products. The link is at the bottom of this post. They have excellent quality French Amber flints as well as black flints.

There's no particular brand other than generic types, such as Black English Flints or French Amber Flints. I have gotten good results from white Missouri Chert for gun flints.

Heritage Products - Living History Reproductions (heritage-products.com)

You be fine with a 5/8’X3/4” too. Cut. Hole in the back of the leather, maybe chip a slot, etc. I have found in ordering a dozen flints I usually end up with several that are smaller than the others. I ended up with some that are pretty close to 5/8” square when I ordered 5/8”x3/4”. Luckily, I have some guns that can use that size.

Back