• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint dressing tool?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DO not know about one made from a nail from what I have seen this item should be fairly easy to make. Years ago my father in law built boats and used brass nails in the construction, a quick look around older hardware stores and you should be able to find these, or perhaps a google search. Larry Callahan produces a very nice combo tool, vent pick, flint knapper and turn screw. He states he has a original found in a old pouch, do not know the time period but a very useful tool. Hope this helps. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

You can get brass rods on eBay cheap, any diameter you want. That's what I did after trying with a plain old nail, works really well and quick.

No need for a fancy knap hammer, however it's your choice. As Black Hand mentioned I also use the back of my knife or a smooth river stone. No need for gadgets and gizmos.

Here's a trick I rediscovered. Try turning the flint over bevel side down, assuming you normally shoot with the bevel side up. Secure the repositioned flint in the cock jaws, prime and fire one or two shots. That done, reposition your flint in your customary fashion, and you should be ready to go. This will knap just a few very small flakes from the business edge of the flint. This assumes that your flint is not too far gone in the first place.

The tool your looking for is described in Eric Bye's book, 'Flintlocks, A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation.' It is described in Chapter 27 under Projects with Metal (section D). Eric describes how to make one (a simple operation). I have never seen them commercially available.

Old Timer 48 said:
Do any of you know where I can get a dressing tool? The kind that some guys make from a nail. I would like to get a brass one if one is available.

For what its worth, I call this tool a knapping awl.

If I make one out of a steel nail, I use a 16 penny or slightly larger nail. I grind the point flat and then either file or grind a small flat section at the tip. Take a triangular file to under cut the step and you are done. You can make one from a brass rod also. The steel in a common nail is soft and will not make a spark.

These tools are so cheap and easy to make that I don't think any one sells such a thing unless it is multi function and more complicated than it needs to be.

I have also put a small notch in the blade of a turnscrew to do the same thing.

No need to find a vendor since shipping costs would exceed the cost of the tool.

The tool you are looking for I have heard described as a "nibbler".

Here is an image with three that all work well.

One nibbler, one turnscrew with a 1/16" right angle cut and a Colt 1911 tool I modified with a little 1/16" nick in the outer angle.

HPIM0440.jpg

The nibbler works well and you just press to flake spalls off the opposite edge of the flint (UNLOADED RIFLE ONLY).

Who sells one? I have no idea.

HPIM2456.jpg

HPIM2459.jpg

A few minutes with a file and a nail will make you a simple one which works well.

Or if you prefer the percussion method, a little brass hammer will do the job.

I usually just use the back of my knife blade.

Spence

Flint knapping supply places can provide copper pressure flakers or horse shoe nail notch flakers.
Both are a top choice for flint sharpening.
Most just make their own.
Pressure flaking is much more precise than is percussion flaking and extends the life of the flint.
A proper pressure or notch flaker is pointed not notched. You do not need a notched nail to hook over the point to remove a small flake,the point will do so with much better control.

Stumpkiller said:
The tool you are looking for I have heard described as a "nibbler".

Here is an image with three that all work well.

One nibbler, one turnscrew with a 1/16" right angle cut and a Colt 1911 tool I modified with a little 1/16" nick in the outer angle.

HPIM0440.jpg

The nibbler works well and you just press to flake spalls off the opposite edge of the flint (UNLOADED RIFLE ONLY).

Who sells one? I have no idea.

HPIM2456.jpg

HPIM2459.jpg

Hey Stump, isn't that flint installed upside down??? :slap: :stir: :stir: :haha:

Half the time - yes. I flip mine to make them last longer and use more of the frizzen face.

I treasure precious stones ;-)

Here's one "right side up" with a bit of Hawthorn twig behind it to get another 60 shots maybe.

HPIM1595.jpg

M.D. said:
Flint knapping supply places can provide copper pressure flakers or horse shoe nail notch flakers.
Both are a top choice for flint sharpening.
Most just make their own.
Pressure flaking is much more precise than is percussion flaking and extends the life of the flint.
A proper pressure or notch flaker is pointed not notched. You do not need a notched nail to hook over the point to remove a small flake,the point will do so with much better control.

This is one I bought off of a seller on eBay. It's a well made tool and I have extra rods to use when this one wears out. Which should be a long long time to come.

s-l500_zpszlo1zpxg.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I made one out of a .30 caliber CF rifle jag, the kind with the spear point. I just clipped off some of the spear, what's left then provides a spacer for evenly sharpening a flint.

There are other ways to do it, of course, from what I've read. Here and elsewhere.

There you go, that is one of the best for pressure flaking (sharpening) a very even edge.
Ten times the control one has with a nibbler or notcher.

Back