• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flint doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys rock this season. I set forms for an 8 foot retaining wall today...should have been deer hunting...

Beech nuts...there was a giant 5 foot wide beech tree i used to hike to on a forested knoll above a stream that i picked up several several large unbroken spearpoints and knife blades from as a teenager...was once sitting against its trunk on a gusty day with swirling wind at the last minute or two of daylight when a doe tromped in within 3 yards, reached down and came up crunching what i realized were beech nuts and so close that i could see the pieces of the nuts falling from her mouth, when suddenly the wind swirled and she left quicker than she arrived....man, with a flint dude, you did it! Guys talk about white oaks and persimmons but forget about the beech trees...the first two are magnets...but they will always divert their travel for a short walk to a nearby beech tree on a mast year...bears too.

View attachment 104965
This evening found me watching a super deep hollow for an unsuspecting doe.

Within a couple hours, I heard the leaves crunching in that particular rhythm that makes a hunter take notice.

She slowly picked her way to a position downhill of me, dawdling her way to a picked soybean field.

Feeding on beech nuts, I watched for a good angle for ten minutes or more.
I finally liked what I saw and my flintlock rifled gun barked.

She fled the way she’d come from and I could hear the end of her race as the woods were calm this evening.

A good friend volunteered to help get her out of the timber in the dark. It’s sure nice to have good friends. That said, I’d helped him with a twelve point buck a few days ago....

She’s a beautiful doe and I feel blessed to have spent time in her woods with her.

Apologies for the pickup truck picture. Circumstances made “in the field” pictures impossible.

Best of luck to you all and stay safe!

Best regards, Skychief.
Great comments about your hunt and a beautiful rifle too. Congrats.

Skychief...good to see you back at it. Good story, nice doe. :thumb:

You couldn't be more correct about old does. They are elegantly beautiful and wickedly cagey critters. A true trophy for anyone. A few years ago my then 14 yr old grandson shot a doe, from a ground stand, that the DNR people couldn't put an age on because her teeth were all but gone. All they could say was more than 12 1/2 years old. I couldn't impress on him what an accomplishment taking that doe was! All the kids at school only talk about their bucks (no matter the age), so taking an old doe didn't seem like a big deal to him.

Back