• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint availability questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a flint fussy flintlock and need help. I don't have the money, and now have run out of time before hunting seasons, to send the lock out for the tuning it needs.
It sparks pretty reliably but only flips the frizzen all the way over with a fairly long flint (or one set well forward with a spacer behind it) and placed hump down in the jaws.

1st question, just clear me up on an assumption. When I look at past orders for flints on Track of The Wolf and see the dimensions I am assuming the 1st number is width and the second is length. Correct?

The 7/8×1" flints I buy for my other gun will work of set well forward and hump down, but being too small and already set forward, I don't get as much use out of them. I ordered some 1"×1 1/8" flints last fall and the length is great, but they are too wide.

Does anyone have a source of flints measuring 1" long (or even longer up to 1 1/8") but only 7/8" wide?

Thank you.

How old is the lock? It almost sounds like the hammer geometry might be off… I’ve had a few locks in my time do somthing similar to what your describing. Mine was an L&R. I made a call to them and they asked me to send it to them even though I didn’t buy the lock new.. they fixed the issue for me and I have had no further issues.. just a thought

How old is the lock? It almost sounds like the hammer geometry might be off… I’ve had a few locks in my time do somthing similar to what your describing. Mine was an L&R. I made a call to them and they asked me to send it to them even though I didn’t buy the lock new.. they fixed the issue for me and I have had no further issues.. just a thought
The lock geometry could definitely use some tuning. To me it seems the flintcock needs to be stretched up then bent so the flint is at a more downward angle. If it were just bent down it would be hitting way too low on the frizzen.

It is an old Davis fusil lock. Not sure how old. I bought the Centermark Fusil des Chase used/pre-owned in the early 2000's and the gentleman (Mike Shea I believe) I bought it from was not the 1st owner.

There was a slip of paper under the buttplate with the name and address of a Wayne Stormer in Oklahoma, I'm guessing he was the original owner.

I ordered the hand picked flints from IMA and received 47 flints. Most were huge and many were unusable as received. I had pretty good luck narrowing some by using a pair of horse shoe nippers to clip them to a usable width. The flint will dull the nipper for its intended use, but I had several old pair so it didn't matter. Some of these flints were 1 3/8"ths wide and 1 1/4" long. Can't see those being used in a musket. I must have prompted them to throw in some of the largest ones they had when I requested "Small".

I have some of those Track flints in my basement and I just went and measured them. Yes the width is 7/8 and the length is one inch. Some are just a 1/16 over the one inch but that is about as long as they go. Hope that helps.

Google flints for sale, I know ads for them are in every issue of Muzzle Blasts and Muzzleloader, but I don't have their names at hand right now. (I use library computer so I don't have to fuss with one at home!)

Latest posts

Back