• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint and Steel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to get a few good pieces of flint, ready to use, for fire making. I have several good strikers. Can anyone set me up?

Townsends, Turkey foot traders, Dixie Gun works, Log cabin sport shop, Samsons Historic and no doubt lots others on line sell fire flints.
Where do you live?
In much of the country chert is found all over, so check your road sides, or creek beads
It doesn’t have to be high quality to throw a spark.
If you want to be fancy, on line you can find large iron pyrites nodgles. So yo can strike your light with gold
A flint blade last for ever. I use mine a lot, and have a thirty year old pyrite and flint blades well over ten years old

How do you strike pyrite for sparks?
Just like flint, you don’t have to look for a sharp edge
Any angle almost will produce a spark.
But they are not as hot as flint
So I hold char under the rock in my left and strike with right
Shot with out a ‘nest’ but I hold my nest with the char
6555B6E2-3129-4FB2-BA36-C4967035BF1A.jpeg
AC8233BF-CF18-451B-880A-8ED4858B6FBC.jpeg
9C29B844-C2CC-4F1C-8362-E2871DDD1C28.jpeg

Coolhand , would any of them "cherts " , grow in Pa.?
I am not sure, I’ve only been there one time to Mansfield for work. I’ll look around for some while I’m out bow hunting in a few weeks. I’ll message you when I find some if you would like some?

I'd like to get a few good pieces of flint, ready to use, for fire making. I have several good strikers. Can anyone set me up?

If you don’t find any soon send me a PM and I will fix you up with some good chert.
It’s almost everywhere here in SW MO. I even have some partially exposed pieces in my yard.

Honestly, since I started shooting flintlocks, I seldom use my fire starting kit anymore.

Make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction…I stick a bird’s feather in the flash hole, dump the prime and put the charclothe in the pan. Close the pan, cock the gun, pull the trigger…ready to start a fire.

Back