• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint and Steel Kits for Teaching Youth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same experience I had with one of their strikers.

I have two good ones from TOTW, but I’ve had them for close to 20 years. A small curl broke off the end of one, but they do spark. The best deal going I’m aware of has to be the fur trade ovals for $8 though. I bought three, all spark but one is just a little harder, and I’m giving one to a friend with a tinder box and some flint for Christmas.

One caution about breaking files: wrap a cloth or something around them to protect from flying chips. They are brittle as glass.

I'm wanting to do a fire starting/building workshop with my 4-H kids, and would like to buy some kits for them. We have 12 kids in the group, so I'm thinking 6 kits should suffice. Looking for recommendations for kits that will help the kids be successful without breaking the bank.
I wanted to do the same thing with our BSA troop and needed about 10 flint and steel kits. After talking with the late Mike Amelung who I got to know on this site, he suggested I use old, worn-out American-made files as the strikers. Using as angle grinder I was able to cut the files into 3” pieces and used my bench grinder to take off the teeth on the longer narrow-side edges (to be used for striking) and the ends where cut. Also smooth over the corners. Altoid tins with the paint removed (toss into the coals of a fire), flint shards purchased online, a hank of jute string for teasing apart into a birds nest, and some char cloth rounded out the kit. And that’s how we did it. The boys enjoyed it so much they wanted to make their own kits, which we later did together. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck and thanks for being a part of BSA and guiding our young generation.

Museum of the Fur Trade flint steels with Russel stamped on them are stamped out but rough on surfaces. Careful sanding to polish out and smooth it will greatly improves its effectiveness and prolong flint life. Dip in cold water to not draw temper. Same with Nicholson black diamond files and rasps. Grind off teeth on edge slowly and dip in cold water. Ground teeth on front and back filing surfaces back enough from the edge to have smooth surface. the spine of some old carbon steel knives will throw a spark. I forge my own using a wide variety of alloys. File is cheap way. dryer lint if the load is 100 percent cotton is better. A whole thread on good tinder both untreated and naturally found and that of charred cloth can be done. The commercial Boy Scout kit i bought in the 60's was pretty poor quality.

i buy strikers from medievalcollectibles.com for $8 each. they look good and are period correct for pretty much any period. i did reheat mine to red hot and quench in water to make sure they spark well. also helps to have a nice sharp edge on your flint.

I will be honest,. I have not read every post to this thread. I have some plain Altoids sized tins that I would like to donate to your cause. If you want one tin per student that is fine also. Just let me know how many you need. I buy them 40 at a time for the modern fire starting kits that I help our students build their own kits in the primitive wilderness survival classes that I help teach in the spring and Summer. If you have some time,. I will also sew up some pouches for these tins to fit. Just let me know.

I had so much fun in scouts. My only regret about scouts is I never did my Eagle Scout project, so I never made Eagle. Like most young men, I chose to chase the young ladies instead. Stupid mistake on my end.

Anyway if I can help by donating these items, it is an extremely cheap cost for all that scouts gave me. Just PM me the details, such as how many tins you need, when they have to be to you, and the shipping address.

Stay safe and seek happiness in life,

Bobo Greybeard

ps,

Cotton balls with Vaseline rubbed into them, is one of the best fire starters you will ever find. It generally only takes a single spark to get a fire that will last a few minutes. Give me your number when you PM me and I will walk you through how to make them.

Harbor freight sells the magnesium fire sticks… pretty cheap if remember, It’s not period correct…. But man they throw some sparks!
Yep, I teach survival classes year round and the HF ones work well. Just make sure to scrap the coating off so you can throw a spark
20221209_143009.jpg
20221209_143009.jpg

You might contact Mike at Flintlock Inc. as well. He might donate kits for your troop.
I did a program for a women's group and he donated kits.

Back