• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint and frizzen engagement: How good is too good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for the old hands.
Have a new musket and have about 10 shots thru it. No misfires and everything worked great but of course I’m always pondering and perhaps overthinking.
Below pic is the frizzen after 10 flawless shoots. I don’t suspect trouble but was wondering: Is it possible to have “too much flint” hitting the frizzen causing “unnecessary” wear and tear on the frizzen? Do you ever “polish” the frizzen every so often?
I only have about a years experience shooting multiple flintlocks so I am still a new guy and still learning.

Attachments

• 39D3632F-7508-4C06-A140-BD884838003D.jpeg
    39D3632F-7508-4C06-A140-BD884838003D.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
I don't believe I have ever seen a frizzen that did not have those marks. However, you say, after onlly ten shots. Yes, it does seem the angle is off and maybe other factors. Try bevel up/down, longer flints, etc. to see if you get improvement. And/or your frizzen spring may be too strong. Wait for some real experts to chime in here.

I wouldn’t polish a frizzen because of how it looks. It’s more important how it works.
Well yes. The wild idea was not for looks but for spark efficiency and longevity of the frizzen - if that is even a thing.
I fully understand the frizzen is going to get all dinged up and mauled (not that’s what I have have happening I think) I was just curious if anybody had an idea of how much is good and how much is too good.

you show what i call "tooth strike" for lack of a better term. (or just because i am dumb).
this is caused by an acute angle of flint strike. as in 90 degree. if you shorten the flint a smidge(another technical term) the angle will be less acute.
i'd write more gibberish but this much has been a struggle today.

Thanks.
Makes perfect sense to reduce the “tooth strike” to a minimum to where you still get good ignition.
I get this is strictly a wild ass guess and opinion on your part but do you think I have too much in your experience?

I have always got the best performance from my flinters by positioning he flint so that it contacts the frizzen at about 1/4 to 1/3 the height of the frizzen from its top. That way, you get the optimum 'scrape' from the flint for more spark. You now have the flint striking at about 1/2 the height of the frizzen face. You may have to experiment with the way the flint is placed in the cock jaws to achieve the higher strike - bevel down, further forward in the cock, longer flint, thicker leather, etc.- whatever works. With the cock at the half cock, the flint edge should be just short of touching he frizzen at the desired strike height.

mhb - MIke

I don't believe I have ever seen a frizzen that did not have those marks. However, you say, after onlly ten shots. Yes, it does seem the angle is off and maybe other factors. Try bevel up/down, longer flints, etc. to see if you get improvement. And/or your frizzen spring may be too strong. Wait for some real experts to chime in here.
The flint if making sparks FROM THE STEEL in the frizzen. So there's always some metal loss. I've seen an article about the 'sweet spot' for flint/steel contact, but don't recall where; must have been in the Muzzle Blasts or Muzzleloader. Good luck, Spartan, sounds like you are on a good track!

I have always got the best performance from my flinters by positioning he flint so that it contacts the frizzen at about 1/4 to 1/3 the height of the frizzen from its top. That way, you get the optimum 'scrape' from the flint for more spark. You now have the flint striking at about 1/2 the height of the frizzen face. You may have to experiment with the way the flint is placed in the cock jaws to achieve the higher strike - bevel down, further forward in the cock, longer flint, thicker leather, etc.- whatever works. With the cock at the half cock, the flint edge should be just short of touching he frizzen at the desired strike height.

mhb - MIke
Perfect. Thank you.

Well, the flint should preferably make contact higher up on the frizzen but absolutely not smash into the frizzen head on. Work with the flint until you get it to scrape down the frizzen face at more or less around, say, 60 degrees. If nothing works (unlikely) the lock geometry is probably at fault.

Hard to say without a picture. The flint should end up pointing at the middle of the pan. Your frizzen is showing the start of a strike line(tooth strike). That usually indicates that the strike angle is too acute(approaching 90deg.). You want more of a shaving angle that strikes higher and pushes the sparks to the center of the pan. Hammer geometry might be off, but you say it is working OK. Playing with the flint size and angle(bevel up or down and shimming the back of the flint) might help.

Back