• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flexing a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just giving the pros and cons of the practices (barrel bending and crown filing) and technical description of what will most likely occur as a result. Each person can decide for themselves what they want to do hopefully from a more informed foundation of cause and effect.
If the barrel was not orientated to vertical and shoots off at a tangent then bending may be the only option short of replacement.
Crown manipulation I cannot recommend though but that is just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• D77721F5-9255-4E37-B519-7E829815EBDB.jpeg
    D77721F5-9255-4E37-B519-7E829815EBDB.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 32
Precision barrel straightening (if it exists) is done in an over head barrel vice looking through the bore at a vertical string or wire. The barrel is rotated and any break in the shadow line showing down bore from the wire is a bend in the barrel . The vice pressure is applied by the wheel until all the shadow lines are unbroken around the clock. The out side straightness is only a rough reference to how straight the bore actually is.

There is a picture floating around over at rimfire central that shows Anschutz employees using this exact method of barrel straightening. If its good enough for them it should be good enough for a BP rifle.... I will see if I can find it later today.

While I am on the subject, when a gunsmith friend and I were straightening smoothbore barrels we were measuring applying pressure, measuring again etc. Using very little pressure changes and very carefully.

Anyone who whacks a barrel against a tree is NOT a gunsmith, I am not sure what to call them but it is not gunsmith, and if I am aware of it will never touch one of my guns, just saying.

There is a picture floating around over at rimfire central that shows Anschutz employees using this exact method of barrel straightening. If its good enough for them it should be good enough for a BP rifle.... I will see if I can find it later today.

While I am on the subject, when a gunsmith friend and I were straightening smoothbore barrels we were measuring applying pressure, measuring again etc. Using very little pressure changes and very carefully.

Anyone who whacks a barrel against a tree is NOT a gunsmith, I am not sure what to call them but it is not gunsmith, and if I am aware of it will never touch one of my guns, just saying.
The discussion originally was not about straightening a barrel. It was about deliberately bending a barrel.
There are men that know their craft and them that don't.

Yes Britsmoothy, I did exactly what Juniata the OP did, bent the barrel to get it to shoot to POA.

If you look at the second post showing the Pedersoli people straightening a barrel, that is a lot closer to what I did.
I supported the ends of the barrel and used a hydraulic press (very carefully) to bend it. On a side note, after a couple of these you could actually feel the barrel give a little and then you knew it bent....still measured to be sure.

I also believe you are correct about filing the muzzle and a lot of the originals show what looks like decorative filing at the crown which in my opinion is camo for adjusting the flight of the PRB.

I guess I am one of the ********* that bought Getz and other cheap barrels like Rice etc.

Yes Britsmoothy, I did exactly what Juniata the OP did, bent the barrel to get it to shoot to POA.

If you look at the second post showing the Pedersoli people straightening a barrel, that is a lot closer to what I did.
I supported the ends of the barrel and used a hydraulic press (very carefully) to bend it. On a side note, after a couple of these you could actually feel the barrel give a little and then you knew it bent....still measured to be sure.

I also believe you are correct about filing the muzzle and a lot of the originals show what looks like decorative filing at the crown which in my opinion is camo for adjusting the flight of the PRB.

I guess I am one of the ********* that bought Getz and other cheap barrels like Rice etc.
My apologies.

Springfield building the M1 GarandView attachment 100304
Assume nothing!
Like the guy in the photo gets it right everytime.
He never gets tired.
His mind is not on returning home to an angry wife because he forgot their wedding anniversary.
He isn't in debt.
He isn't ill.
The workplace has a good atmosphere and so on and so on.....

Back