• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flatten Sharpening Stone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
How would you flatten a natural stone? My grandfather was a shoe maker from the "old country" and I have his black hard stone that he used in the final sharpening phase on his leather knives. The stone has a badly dished out center that I want to flatten.

Rub it on another stone with sand and water in between. The sand will roll around and peck off the high spots. A concrete paver or the concrete you are walking on will work too.

Angles for sharpening??? I get the picture of somebody holding a protractor to stone. Nonsense, you need to understand what you are trying to achieve. I work one side of the blade for a minuet and then look a the blade. The idea is to have a bevel that is appropriate for that knife. A thick forged blade, like a Buck knife, will have a more accute angle. Than a spring steel slicer.

Work on one side, many strokes, then do the other. When you have a nice burr, you can see it in bright light, go to a finer grit. I only alternate blade sides with the finest stone. I finsh with a steel and possibly a strop. As you go finer, increase the angle a bit. This will give the most acute angle on cutting edge. The effect is like a Japanese sword. The material behind the edge puts tension on the material being cut. That makes the cutting edge glide through.

Hollow ground blades are a European idea. Is is inferior the the Japanese way. The Japanese edge holds up longer and cuts better.

I polish a lot of my knives on my gun polishing wheels. It gives the same type of edge in seconds. #240 is plenty fine enough if you steel or strop after. #600 Polishh-o-ray will give a razor finish. Be super careful sharpening with a buffing wheel, you can get hurt real fast.

If it is badly dished, it will take quite a long time to flatten it out. I have a Norton branded diamond plate in coarse grit that wasn't too expensive - perhaps $100.

They sell those hard black Arkansas stones at Dan's Whetstones in Pearcy, Arkansas. There business is almost all online but I stopped there once to see the quarry and bought two stones.

I bought a soft Arkansas and a hard translucent (sort of medium and fine grits) and paid about $130 for the pair so they are reasonably priced. They have all sizes.

AH - already got one for my Norton water stones -- thanks for the idea.

I got three fine diamond stones that I can try- why did I not think of that? Thanks all :grin: .

I bought a soft Arkansas and a hard translucent (sort of medium and fine grits) and paid about $130 for the pair so they are reasonably priced. They have all sizes.

I guess reasonable pricing is a matter of perspective. I believe them to be expensive. I've never seen a translucent stone. Do you like it?

I use spray adhesive and glue wet/dry sandpaper to either thick glass or plexiglass,inexpensive easy to find and works,,,, You can get real smooth with 6000 grit or stay with 300 and call it good.

So I got my diamond stone out and sat on the couch watching TV and moving the two surfaces together for about 3-1/2 hours. I got one face of the hard black stone flat except for two edges. The center was about 0.008" concaved. The other side is much worse it is concaved about 0.016" and it's over a larger area. I will be working on it over several days.

Latest posts

Back