• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flat powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, this is pretty empiracal, but I've been interested in horns for a long while, and have collected many photos of old horns...a flat one is pretty rare. For some reason, I'm under the impression it was more of a European (German?) thing....Hank
ps..glad to see another Tarheel on the board

I will say that once you have used a flat horn on your side, you won't go back to the trad. style horns.

Jon, this is pretty empiracal, but I've been interested in horns for a long while, and have collected many photos of old horns...a flat one is pretty rare. For some reason, I'm under the impression it was more of a European (German?) thing....Hank
ps..glad to see another Tarheel on the board

I'm actually not a Tarheel.. just another Yankee implant.. :)

Jon

Alot of Scotish horns were flat, I'm not sure but some German horns may have been.

This estate has a lot of 18th century items, including a metric butt-load of horns, some of which are flat. I'd also seen an auction recently on eBay for a "Very Rare Antique Vintage Flat Powder Horn." Reading the description led me to believe the seller had NO idea hat he had. So that got me a'wonderring exactly HOW rare flat horns are. I'm thinking of making one.

Thanks for the input!

Jon

Jon, I make powder horns and have made flat horns from full to bag size. This is not a tough project. First, you will need to make a "form" of wood to drive into the soaked horn. In a pot of water add some salt, olive oil and vinegar. Boil your horn in this mix until it is plyable. Vent well this does give off an odor! This mix helps reguvenate the horn from dryness as well. Once the horn is plyable enough fit it snuggly over your form and gently clamp it. Set it aside until it is good and cooled, and your ready to put the plug on. Hope this will help. :thumbsup:

If memory serves me (and it tends to be a poor servant of late), the folks at the gunshop in Williamsburg boil their horns in oil, either tallow or vegetable. They can get a higher temperature than with water. Makes the horn more pliable, so you can get it flatter. I think one of the Book of Buckskinning series has some info on making a flat horn.

You have to know what you are doing or they will COOK and become as fragile as glass.
Been there, done that.

Back