• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flat Powder horn UK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunbeam

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,

Request from the UK.
I'm in the market for a nice artisan made flat powder horn to go with my flintlock Fowler.

I've been watching the Dixons muzzleloader gun makers fair on YouTube and can see that there are some great makers in the US, so hoping there also some here in the UK.

Question, Can anybody give me a link to a very good UK horn maker, also the same for a US maker as a back up? I'm hoping that if I need to shop in the US, I'm allowed to import the horn to the UK??

Many thanks.

Looks like you are good to have any horn product commercially-made in the US sent to you in UK.

Finding a maker in the UK might be a bit of a problem, though, as I've never seen one. I'll do some digging for ya'.

So Can I assume there are no horn makers in the UK?

No doubt you could find somebody to make one, by replication, but just as there are probably very few coracle-makers in the US, there are just as many UK-based makers of what is a particularly American artefact.

In any case, flat powder horns are usually associated with the Baroque period firearms, like wheellocks et al, and were usually found to be made, not of horn, but of ivory, particularly in Bohemia, and lavishly and expensively decorated with silver overlays.

Good luck in your quest.

Thank you to @TFoley for alerting me to this thread. As mentioned elsewhere, I have a flat horn made by Ron Vail about eight years ago. I sent Ron this image, from one of Ted Spring's sketchbooks...

Highlanders.jpg

... and asked if he could make a flat horn similar to the one on the lower right, but not quite as big. He could and did. Here are a few photos I took today at TFoley's request. The first one shows the outside of the horn, if it were worn on the right side. There is a cosmetic defect, with a slightly concave area right in the flat of the horn, with some surface cracks. This does not affect the structural integrity of the powder horn. The horn wall is solid, and it is airtight.

Ron Vail flat Horn 1.JPG

The next photo shows the other side. Not much else to say about it. I probably should have laid a ruler next to the horn, but I can tell you it measures about 8-3/4" around the outside curve, from tip to base. Maximum thickness is just slightly over one inch, and maximum width at the base is about 2-7/8".

Ron Vail Flat Horn 2.JPG

This is an end view, showing of the butt. The base plug is an airtight fit. I don't know for sure what type of wood he used for the base plug, as it is stained very dark. The visible grain structure suggests the wood is pine. This is very much a "rough and ready" horn for the field. Definitely not fancy. It is tight and solid, small enough to carry easily in a haversack, game bag, or the pocket of a greatcoat, but large enough to carry in the conventional way outside your pouch if you prefer. I haven't measured its capacity, but I would guess maybe 6 ounces. By calculation, six ounces would be 2,625 grains.

Ron Vail Flat Horn 3.JPG

Finally, here's a top view of the horn. You can see that the raw horn had a little twist, which was preserved after flattening. I think it looks cool.

Ron Vail Flat Horn 4.JPG

I looked up Ron Vail today, and it appears his website has been taken down. However, I did find his profile on the Early American Life website: Ron Vail Bio

Mr. Vail's contact information is shown, but I don't know how current it is. I don't know if Mr. Vail is still in business or not, but if he isn't I'm sure there are some other horners who could make a flat horn for you. Maybe some of the other forum members will show us their flat horns and provide some information about the makers.

So, good luck to @Sunbeam in his quest for a flat horn!

Notchy Bob

No doubt you could find somebody to make one, by replication, but just as there are probably very few coracle-makers in the US, there are just as many UK-based makers of what is a particularly American artefact.

In any case, flat powder horns are usually associated with the Baroque period firearms, like wheellocks et al, and were usually found to be made, not of horn, but of ivory, particularly in Bohemia, and lavishly and expensively decorated with silver overlays.

Good luck in your quest.
I don't how much Ivory was used ?. Be more likley Stag antler taken to the under bark layer near as good as Ivory. carves nicely & often engraved in what might be called Scrimshaw fashion . I cant except that no such are made in the UK. I made one and they are not peculiar to the US. less common yes but where made. Scots horns are heated & flatted and some nice cow horn flasks where so made in early times . Lots of re enacters in UK and enough do early themes, they host some very capable fellows .But I agree finding one might be a trick.
Regards Rudyard

Back